Used 2006 Scion xB Consumer Reviews - 289 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Scion xB

View reviews for a specific xB model:

You will survive an accident
By F B

2006 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my second Scion XB. The first one, a 2004 w/ XM sattellite radio, I bought new. Had it for a 2 years. I was rear-ended twice, then the third time I was rear-ended by a full size Chevy cargo van going 45 mph. The car gave its life so I might live. It was totalled, I walked away. So, I got another one, this time a 2006. These cars do not go accelerate fast with the a.c. on going up a mountain, but the $30.00 to fill up the tank is the payback. I get around 37 mpg up here in the mountains of New Mexico. It goes in the snow, but deep snow would be a problem. Maintenance is easy, you can do it yourself, but changing the belts is a little tight, you need to jack the car up.

Corners well, suspension is more of a "sport" tuning, or is that because I only weigh 145 pounds? Rides better with more people on board. I like the fact you can open the rear hatch and get to your cargo while it is raining, and not get wet. Great for musicians.

seat upholstery seems to show wear a little quickly.

Longest I've ever owned one car
By Rocker Dad

2006 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Scion after news of our second baby arrived, so the xB replaced a V8 Magnum Dodge Dakota 4x4 with extended cab (sweet truck). Hard as it was to trade in my cool & manly truck, I was thinking about 3 things: Ease of getting baby and belongings in and out; passenger room; and gas mileage (my truck guzzled gas!). I test drove several cars, including a new VW Jetta, but none of them had the gas mileage, ease of entry and egress, and passenger room as the xB. Considering my needs it was a no brainer. I've never had a failure, breakdown, broken part, etc. with this car. It drives great in deep snow with cables, and the Pioneer stereo kicks. The features for the price were unbeatable.

Stereo system, passenger room (5 adults), cargo room (massive with seats down - great if you're in a band), seats that sit up high, and amazing visibility around vehicle (no blind spots). Oh, and reliability.

Very high road noise during highway driving and lack of cruise control fatigue the driver. Use sun visors that have extensible pieces to protect eyes when visor is over the side window. Include roof rack so families can bring luggage for vacation. Engineer engine to provide more power up hills.

I love "The Box!"
By BeachDad

2006 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this used after owning a Ford Explorer SportTrac. I'm a 52 YO dad with a 9-year-old kid and this is the first truly cool/hip vehicle I've ever owned. I find myself smiling uncontrollably as I bop around town in this thing. Even my kid thinks it is/we are cool. The headroom is amazing The seats are beyond comfortable. I love paying $30 to fill it, rather than $60. I haven't had this much fun since the Fiat 124 in the 1970s (also a misunderstood vehicle).

Headroom. Looks. Mileage. Cool factor.

Needs an OEM roof rack.

Great, sensible, affordable
By Erik

2006 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Very unique, Everyone comments on the "Toaster on wheels" shape of the car love walking out to my car, cant help but smile when i drive it around at 30- 32 MPG with a/c blasting against the Texas sun. Loads of room inside, ergonomics make a lot of sense. its very simple and roomy everywhere. (looking around before buying a saw a lot of them, if you are in the market make sure to check several things, the front and rear plastic clip on bumpers in many cases seem to get damaged and should be checked as getting replacements color matched will be expensive. Also beware of certain aftermarket wheels in some cases they trigger the Indicator lights b/c of the way it reads MPH.

TONS of room Unique look Excellent mileage Stock pioneer sound system and head unit VISIBILITY

No front lights near the mirror to light up the front, only has the one dome light towards the back Cheaped out on the interior door panels, could have done better there Not the fastest car in the world. but it will still cruise good at 80 around 3600 rpm once it gets there

The best care we've ever owned!
By Diana

2006 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I do a lot of highway driving and this car is great. I get about 34 MPG sometimes more. People always say it's so small, but when you get them inside, they're always impressed with the space. We've hauled a lot of big stuff in it while moving, have had 5 adults fit for a comfortable ride, and have never had any problems with the car itself. We live in WI, and I've never gotten stuck in the snow, even when we had 19 inches this winter! The only thing i wish was different would be the suspension, it's pretty bumpy on some roads. We also had to have the windshield replaced from a random crack that split all the way across. We bought a Yaris this year - Love Toyota's small cars!

Room for hauling in the back, upright captain's chairs (good for my back), factory sound system rocks, it's just so ugly, that it's cool! Everyone comments on its unique look.

Too bumpy on uneven roads.