Used 2005 Scion xB Consumer Reviews - 504 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Scion xB

View reviews for a specific xB model:

2005 Blue Scion xB
By AutoBat

2005 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my xB for several years now. I got my car with alloy wheels, arm rest and cruise control installed. I consistently get 30mpg in either city or highway. I still love the looks of it, I replaced the grill with billet aluminum and the rear lights with LEDs after I got rearended once (new tailgate as well). The car is reliable as can be (it's a Toyota afterall). Even after the new (ugly) xB's came out I still get comments on how cool (or ugly) my car is. If I had the means, I would get another, but with a manual transmission. I have had to have 2 large chips filled in from errant rocks at about $20 each.

MP3 headunit, Great looks, Great fuel economy. Seats 5 adults easily. Lots of headroom. Integrated antenna in the glass.

The armrest is worthless 90% of the time, the visor mirrors are ridiculously tiny, cruise control isn't offered by the factory (I know they fixed that in the ugly new ones), and an actual temp gauge would be nice.

Love car, hate front seats
By julie

2005 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought car 1 month ago. Former car Toyota tercel 4wdr which I loved but it got rear-ended. Love the look & mileage. Have a stick and do not have any power problems. Daughter and friends love all the room in the back. 1 BIG COMPLAINT: My husband & I both have backaches after riding more than 1 hr in either front seat (we are 5'6" and 5'10"). Nobody else has written about this and it worries us. Any suggestions?

storage, styling, mileage

map light, deeper cup holders, more comfortable front seats

2 xB family
By Kayaker

2005 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my '05 xB in 2006 and love it. Can carry anything, even a kayak! (Bungeed the back shut about 6") I have since added a roof rack to hold both my husband's and my kayaks and still get 36-38 miles per gallon with an empty roof rack. Last year my husband's Camry was totaled and he was lucky enough to find a used "05 xB. His had 30,000 miles on it and is still like new. We live in NH and had record breaking snow last year. We did have snow tires, but could go anywhere. Never had a car this good in the snow! Both boxes are standard transmissions, very easy and fun to drive. Can't imagine driving anything else. We plan on keeping these boxes forever.

Gas mileage! If driven conservatively will easily get 36-38 miles per gallon. Very comfortable, great visibility, very reasonably priced. Great value.

Like everyone else, would love cruise control for trips, too much road noise, and it does have lousy cup holders. Good far outweighs the bad.

Fantastic little gem
By Love this baby

2005 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I cannot believe I found a used XB. We had looked for the last several years at the local car shows and fell in love with the XB. We were ready to buy a new one this year. We did not like the new design because it has really cut the gas mileage with the improvements. These cars never show up used here. No one wants to part with them. We got a great deal on a 2005 with only 40,000 plus on it. It is silver with a cute red thunder bolt along the sides & air scoop on the back. We love the room the handling and the gas mileage. We had cruise added it really enhances the over the road mileage. We are nearing 60 and enjoy the nice firm seats. Great for us and so much fun to drive.

Love the seats and the great window views. My husband gave up his AWD Astro for this. We like to sit up high. Great for our three dogs, luggage etc. Has enough power for us. A bigger engine & you get less gas mileage. Very nice radio. Really like the way the side mirrors give you that extra site line

better inside lighting would be nice.

Boxes can be fun
By BoXedUP

2005 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I fell in love with my box (aka XB) when I first saw it. It was unlike anything else on the market at that time or really since then. I bought it for three main reasons.
1) I loved the way it looked.
2) I loved the mileage it was reported to get. And
3) It was more customizable and had more personality than any vehicle I had ever encountered.
Now three years and almost 40,000 miles later I still catch myself with a smile on my face as I drive down the interstate to work. I have owned many cars in the past but never one that I have truly loved. This year I am considering on trading in my Box. What will I replace it with? The next generation XB. I love this car and the Scion experience.

My favorite features of my XB would have to be the unique styling, yes its boxy but the new XB's have refined the styling and in turn have gave the XB a more contemporary less toy like feel. I also love the display layout. The heads up design has truly spoiled me for more central layouts in cars.

Improvements can be summed up in one word, "HORSEPOWER". Don't get me wrong the older Xb's perform well. It's just at times they can get sluggish. Especially if you have the car loaded and going up a steep grade. But the new engine in the next generation Xb sounds like the ticket for a great car