Used 2005 Scion xB Consumer Reviews - 502 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Scion xB

View reviews for a specific xB model:

Solid car with lots of room
By jkm

2005 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Just bought this car used. It's very solid and basic, much like the imports of the 70s and 80s. For a car with such little power, it's surprisingly fun to drive. The interior room is simply amazing. It's like a theater with 6 screens. The car seems to grow magically when you get in. I always tell friends that it's bigger on the inside than it is on the outside. Driving position is comfortable but you have to get used to the position of the gauges. The engine is peppy and fun to rev on city streets but merging on the interstate can be a challenge. This is allot of car for the money. I've found that it's several thousand less than a comparable Honda Element, Fit, or Toyota Matrix.

Easy access doors, and interior room. The engine compartment is clean, making the car easy to work on.

Need an extra dome light on the lift gate is needed, and cruise control would be nice. The omission of a sunroof on this car is downright criminal. The roof is big enough to accommodate 2 of them. This car could also use at least 50 more horses under the hood.

Disappointed
By TVkid

2005 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Loved this car from the moment I saw it. Convinced my wife to get it for our small business as a delivery vehicle. The "toaster" sees a lot of miles, but gets regular service and is only driven by me. Rarely gets better than 29 miles per gallon. Had to replace all four rims and tires - $800 - because of cracks in the rims. Lost the transmission at 89,000 miles. Small back side light managed to vibrate loose and fall out - $175 to replace. Now AC compressor is going out. The Camry we used as a trade-in was much more reliable.

Body styling gets lots of looks and comments, pretty good when your business name is on the side. Lots of room for people or delivery items. I can get three concert tubas with cases in the back seat.

Too much wind noise. Front seats are not very comfortable on longer trips. 15-inch rims are expensive to replace. Small gas tank. Interior lights do not provide much illumination. Lower body panels are pulling loose. Stock stereo okay at best. Instrument panel does not display enough information.

The best of the rest!
By Charly

2005 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Ours is a Rel 2.0 Series w/ground effects factory package. (Yellow only) and is loaded with all factory options Pioneer Stereo + dark window tint + white wheel covers + cruise. We average 32 MPG overall and see 35 on trips. We have installed a front stabilizer bar and turbo K&N intake. It handles like a sports car but insures like a wagon.

Fuel Economy, Handling, reliability

None, you can't improve on purrfection.

Cheap but reliable.
By Sean

2005 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I had this car for two years. The a/c stopped working, and it turned out something in the a/c pipes burst, and sent shards of metal all through the system, and it was going to cost around $800 to fix. My rear trunk panel cracked off, the interior feels cheap and "plastic-y". It's very simple, not much too it. No bells and whistles here. While it isn't extremely powerful or fast, I always had a good time driving it, and it never once broke down on me.

Extremely roomy. I could fit 3 bicycles in the back without disassembling anything simply by folding down the back seats.

Interior is all plastic and cheap. Expect little things to crack and break off.

2005 SCION XB
By 05XBINSC

2005 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my XB new in 2005 because I got tired of working on my previous car a Ford/Mazda Probe GT. Big change in terms of power and handling but I adjusted fairly easy. I find myself driving the XB HARD so I can't really complain about 28MPG, that being said, after 58K miles I have had not one single mechanical problem! I had a small chip in the windshield in the first month, used a "repair kit" and did not have to replace that until Jan of 2009. Getting ready to replace my 2nd set of tires. Lots of interior room, poor interior lighting, good seating position, good (not great) stereo. Buzzy on the highway, could use an extra gear, or "taller" 5th. Great value for the money! Paid 13,750.

CABLE throttle, not drive by wire, NO RECALL issues stuck throttle etc. Can move big items with seats folded. High seating position, plays MP3 disks, traction control, VCS, and Brake Assist, ABS I especially like getting a reaction from those safety systems (remember I drive the car HARD!)

Gearing-Buzzy at speed, search for a TSB "Technical Service Bulletin" on the A/C, if a customer complains about so-so A/C performance in a hot climate, they will fix it under warranty. Improve Communication! I had $2000 of parts replaced, for NC, I told the dealer I was warm! My tools miss me!BREAK!