Used 2004 Scion xB Consumer Reviews - 236 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Scion xB

View reviews for a specific xB model:

Crash Worthy
By mustangsv

2004 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Just totaled my XB (04/19/08) with a head-on crash with a Dodge Dakota P-up (airbags deployed). The drivers area was in perfect shape. The front end was crushed to the base of the windshield. Crumple zones worked as advertised. I walked away as did my 4 year old son who was strapped in his child seat in the back passenger side. I'm back in the market to buy another one(2004-2006). 2008 XB's look like they were designed by the Michelin Man...Yuck!

Survivability! 32 MPG on the highway/30MPH around town. Large back seat. Great brakes even though the rears are drums.

Factory cruise control(I had dealer installed/after market). Rear cargo dome light. Side airbags(on 2008 models)

Just Crashed my 2004 Scion XB
By mustangsv

2004 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I wrecked my 2004 XB 4/18/08. Front head-on crash with a midsize Dodge pick-up. Air bags popped. My XB is a right-off! Crumple zones worked as designed. There was no intrusion into the passenger area at all. I walked away with only seat belt marks and a bump on my right shin. My 4 year old son was in the back seat in his child seat and only had a shoulder belt mark and was okay. I'm a 41 year old commercial pilot and liked the styling (in Japan a lot) with a practical Corolla drive line. I'm looking for another 2004/05 XB ASAP.

I got 31 MPG on the highway at 75 MPH. Fantastic front/backseat and interior passenger room. Everything you need and nothing you have to pay for that you don't want. Very little highway wind noise. Crash survivability!

Another a/c power jack up front, and one in the rear. Rear dick breaks. Hate the new 2008 XB's. The front end looks like it was designed by the Michelin man and mileage dropped(The biggest plus in the first generation XB)

The ultimate city car
By Max

2004 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is by far the best car I've ever owned. Low maintenance and very simple in it's layouts, technical features and style. I bough it in the sates cuz you can't buy them in Canada, and it had 80K mil on the meter and I noticed that the engine had been over worked by the looks of it but still it has excellent go and acceleration. If you live in a big city with narrow streets and don't drive on the high way or the freeway allot nothing over 120 km...um 70 mph I think, then this car will be perfect even as a family car but if you commute to work and drive allot on the highway then this car is not for you.

Very roomy, the gauges and the rest of the operation panel is simple and stylish and it works excellent. Very good factory sound system.

Bad on Highways, though that is not an improvement.

Rough Drivers beware
By Ranstar

2004 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I loved it, then I hit a bump lightly , the curve lightly and snow bank not so lightly. Things seem to snap, crack and split on this car very easily. I am probably too aggressive of a driver but be aware that the grille, grates and bumpers are not strong or well secured. But what a great car for performance if you have the 5 speed manual. It is fun and fast. The head room and leg room are incredible. I am 6'3" and I fit in this car great. I have moved some many things inside this car, it's as good as van.

none

give it metal bumpers

Fabulous 40,000 Miles So Far
By Charlie SJC

2004 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

The Scion xB has more head and leg room for four tall people than most SUVs. The gas mileage with the stick shift has improved from year to year. I never get less that 32 mpg now and sometimes get 35 mpg.

We are retired so trips to hilly San Francisco, the nursery, Costco and the hardware store are the order of the day. The xB is perfect for short trips with four people wearing hats.

Smooth roads are very comfortable, but rough roads will beat you to death. There is no option for softer shocks. The front seats have no thigh support. I stacked an inch and a half of washers on longer front seat bolts in order to raise the front of the seat. What were they thinking?