Used 2006 Scion xA Base Consumer Reviews - 67 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Scion xA

View reviews for a specific xA model:

Bad Gas Mileage/Frequent Visits to the Shop
By igobye

2006 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

At 28,000 miles the best mileage I've gotten is 36 mpg once. Most of the time I'm lucky to get 33 mpg highway. I commute 90 miles daily and I'm not getting the mileage that I expected, which was one key factor in choosing the car. When I asked a Scion dealership about it, I was given the same excuse others have been - those are just estimates and there is not much they can do about it. On top of the gas mileage issue, my car has been in the shop three times. The first time was to to replace the radio that changed channels by itself. The second time to replace the Camhead assembly and the third time it was leaking between where the gas nozzle goes and the tank. It was all warranty work, but I'm almost out of warranty - then what? At this rate I'll be broke.

It is fun to drive and has lots of leg room for adult passengers, even in the back seat. It has a very good sounding radio.

Give it more cargo room in the hatch (including more room with the tire is to store a 'real' jack), better fuel economy, and keyless entry. Make variable intermittent wipers and an intermittent rear wiper standard. Add a 6th gear - the car drives hard at highway speeds. Sometimes it feels like I forgot to shift up a gear.

Grandma's Scion
By SHARJEN

2006 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Scion xA. It is fun, reliable, and economical.

Sit high in the seat.

Add cruise control and a sunroof.

Scion xA
By slnthntr

2006 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car is a blast to drive, with the 5-speed manual I am getting 36 mpg in the city. It handles the corners great and has outstanding acceleration.

It has a spacious interior for a compact, and the exterior design is streamlined. The options that are available for personalization make the car a joy to own.

Add the cup holders. There has to be a better way to position the cup holders, any drink larger that 12 oz actually interferes with storage and shifting.

Great Little Ride
By R McInerney

2006 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This little car car has a smooth comfortable ride and its maneuverability is great. It's tiny and cute outside, but has plenty of room for adult passengers in the front and back inside. Its large window area makes for really good view out of rear when backing. Driving the xA is a joy!

I especially like the comfortable seats and very good ride along with the nice tight, but easy steering. The big windows make backing up a breeze and I LOVE the roomy interior and higher head room. I love the power windows and power door locks as standard. This car is so cute and only takes ten minutes to wash!

Move the instrument panel to in front of the driver. It's not ergonomic when centered. Move the mileage meter on top and the trip to the bottom. The textured dash is hard to dust off as is the nylon-y seat material. The engine noise when going 70 mph keeps me checking that I haven't left it in 4th gear. Quiet that engine!

Good Deal for an Inexpensive Car
By Gerald McD.

2006 Scion xA 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car is solid for an economy car. It handles extremely well, and the gas mileage is good. I drive mostly interstate miles, and I am getting between 34-35 MPG with the 5-speed manual transmission. The front seating is comfortable, the back seat is adequate, but not for longer trips. The extras that come as standard equipment (stereo, ABS, AC, etc.) really make this an outstanding deal. The only negative - it is a bit loud at interstate speeds, the engine is pushing 3,500 RPM at 70 mph.

The great stereo and very good handling for a small car.

A six speed transmission would be good - an overdrive for interstate cruising would help.