Used 2005 Scion xA Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 216 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Scion xA Hatchback

View reviews for a specific xA model:

New owner
By brooktroutchaser

2005 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased 2 weeks ago with 16.5 k miles. The first 2 days the ride was hard; lowered the tire pressure to 29 and it improved. Love sitting up high; I have a bad back and this car sits like a small SUV. Very nimble and a great grocery getter. It is O.K. on the highway for perhaps a half day ride; it isn't a cross country vehicle. In town it is delightful if a bit stiff. It does not like pavement imperfections. I expect to keep it for many years. Everyone says it is cute. Good car for 1-2 people; the back seat is small. Good legroom up front. Easy to park. Oh, I am six feet, 200 pounds, and have gray hair.

High seats. Legroom. Nimble. Love the hatch. Attractive small package.

The replacement, the XD has less legroom and is not nearly as good looking. It does have more horsepower.

Initial Impression
By brooktroutchaser

2005 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned this almost new car for just a couple of days. It has only 16,500 miles, so it was a peach of a used car purchase. Love the high seats and the hatch. Had I driven it longer on the test drive, I might have had second thoughts; the ride is ultra firm. One feels ever road imperfection and Michigan roads are very poor. This car was marketed to youth, but I'm AARP material. It should be a great grocery getter, but I don't think I'd like to take a long trip due to the harsh ride. Perhaps softer tires would help? I'll report back after I've logged more miles.

Hatch. High seats. Easy to park.

Softer suspension.

Not for long rides
By Balzo

2005 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Got the car brand new in '04 and used it mostly around town with the occasional 200 mile weekend trip. Great value for the money in terms of low purchase price and low operating cost. Power is what one might expect from a 108-hp motor but the 5-spd manual trans made the driving experience a bit more interesting. A 6th gear would be perfect for speeds over 70mph. Ride quality is bouncy on the interstate because of the short wheelbase and firm suspension but it's a blast around corners and when zipping around city traffic. 5 yrs and 50K miles later, I can say it was an overall positive experience. Would I buy a Scion again? Not likely. Just traded it in for a sporty euro sedan last week.

Compact size, roomy interior (for its size) with seats folded down, low maintenance cost, great gas mileage, highway patrol thinks it's funny that it can go over 88mph.

6th gear, driver's center armrest, tuneable suspension for highway comfort, more power.

A Keeper
By Miles

2005 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been great to me. And I am great to it. The Gas cap cover cable went the first year and Toyota had to replace something in the motor under the warranty but other than those two things this car has been worth every cent I paid for it. I thought it was an excellent deal when I bought it too. Got a bunch of nice options for really not much cash extra that really improves the looks and performance. It's good in the snow with the right tires as long as you drive at a safe speed and it will get up and go when I need it to. I love this car man!

The style, The options to choose from.I got the rrof rack, spoiler, mud flaps, fog lights, subwoofer, Alloy wheels and a bra. Handles great.Sips the petro at ANY constant speed.Small, cleans easily.Reliability.

Dependable!!!
By ak

2005 Scion xA Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my car for almost 2 years now and she is very reliable. Definatly not a speed demon but awesome gas mileage and i've never had a major problem ever!

Versatile Cargo area! Gas Mileage! Super dependable! Cute!

Needs cruise, road noise at high speeds gets a little annoying