Used 2006 Scion tC Consumer Reviews - 237 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Scion tC

View reviews for a specific tC model:

Not Feeling My tC
By Mllipsey

2006 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have had this car from 77 miles to 57000 miles and I have been trying to get rid of it since 5000 miles. I must admit the car is fun to drive at times but compared to 75% of the other cars on the road its not much power under the hood. The only time I feel like its fast is when I am the only car on the road. The gas mileage stinks, I get 265 out of a full tank and the dealership tells me its because of "winter" gas in the winter and "summer" gas in the summer. The worst part is that loud whistling from the sunroof that toyota refuses to look at unless I pay them. Its time for me to move on.

Great handling, got me out of plenty of accidents, good sound system, attractive to females (they want to drive it lol)

OMG please for 4cylinders I need to be getting 350 off a full tank, that noise in the sunroof makes me wanna scream, and nothing is ever covered under the warranty..

Cheap Stylish Ride
By Spectacularjax

2006 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Ok here is the deal. I always wanted a fast sporty car, which this car is. However it is basically a toy. It is kind of like the old honda civics that were made to play with. Parts easily pop off and on for accessorizing, which is lots of fun. The trunk is poorly made, if you live in New England like I do, and it snows it is very difficult to lift the trunk, so you need to clean all the snow off before even trying. Sometimes the trunk ( with no snow on it ) closes by itself and hits you right in the head. The handle to the trunk pops right off and unless you have package tape it will dangle and eventually fall off. Tires are thin and don't last too long, head room, not good for tall people.

The handling is great. Easy to park in small places, also very fast takes off great, radio has great sound, and it is overall a cool car to drive it your young, or want a car good on gas. Not good for road trips or many passengers at once.

I would say try and make more head room especially for the back seat passengers. Also, think about a windshield wiper in the rear of the car, it is a hatchback and snow collects easily. Although the car is made to play with try to make the part not as easy to pop off and on, it is not a transformer.

Items to be aware of...
By Anjanette

2006 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We bought our tC new. We do love it but there are some build quality issues that need to be dealt with. The back panel, at the trunk release, broke off. The C-pillar air bag covers have popped off. The vent fan squeals and sometimes has stopped (that's fun in the blazing summer). Our breaks needed to be replaced at 33k miles and we don't drive hard or jam our foot into them. The tires are low profile and develop breaks in the sidewall radials easily if a hole or other bump is hit just right. The tires are also expensive and don't gain traction well on wet pavement and easily break loose. With continued use the seats don't stay in place when slid forward when accessing the back seat.

Can get kids in the car seat without contortions. Steering wheel controls. Fun to drive. Overall aesthetics. Reclining back seat. Makes for a good commuter vehicle for our needs. Good price point for the options you get (price also reflects the build quality).

Improve overall quality of build. The back trunk release panel needs to be revised to have stronger connections. Option for smaller rims and / or more affordable (lower rated) tires. (I really don't need 149mph rated tires. Slightly more leg room needed at back seat.

After a few years...
By JW

2006 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

The paint chips and scratches with ease. The are plenty of rattles. Many of the interior plastic covers( such as seatbelt bolts) have cracked. The optional leather seats are cracking ( garage parked). The sun roof freezes at on occasion. When I hit a small bump and brake, the brakes "skip" and make a metallic noise. Have complained to the dealer over the years. They say it is "normal"; however, a delay in braking is not "normal."The rotors started rusting on the first year.

Looks nice.

Quality control.

Would be a perfect car for a teenager
By Melissa

2006 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2006 tc brand new. At first I loved it because of all the options. You really can't get as many for the price. The dual sunroof was really neat, steering wheel controls were nice. Good price and good deal, but too much plastic everywhere. Car is very cookie cutter. The weird cover over the radio always seemed annoying. I got plenty of looks and comments, but all from 16 year old kids when getting my car washed. Had to get rid of it and get an "adult" car. Nice, quick, but VERY TINY little car. Don't expect anyone to get in the back seat. Perfect for a teen, which is what Scion targets anyway...my bad...

Great gas mileage. Good amount of options for the price. Good sound system. Liked the dual sunroof.

Scion is what it is- targeted for younger people. I think this car is fine as it is. I bought it expecting it to work as an adult car, but I'm a professional adult, and it just didn't work at all!!