Used 2005 Scion tC Consumer Reviews - 455 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Scion tC

View reviews for a specific tC model:

Some really obvious design oversights
By WL

2005 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

A "cool" looking car, however I have had numerous issues with it. The most recent being the poor construction of the rear hatch handle. It snapped off after regular use (not excessive force) and I've had it epoxied back on twice. It is only held in place by plastic screws and it is the only way to lift open the heavy hatch. The tires are also expensive (low profile racing-type tires).

Drives well, pretty good gas mileage. Looks nice, lots of space when you fold down the back seats and use the hatch.

Rear hatch door handle needs much stronger construction. And the hatch itself has been very difficult to open. The pneumatics don't do anything to help it open.

Stop Looking Right Here
By Peter

2005 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I was out to find a used car in the $10,000-$12,000 range, and found quite a variety awaiting me. I was considering a 2007 Honda Civic, a 2004 Mercedes-Benz CLK, and a 2008 Toyota Corolla. After driving all of them, none offered the kind of driving experience that the Scion offers. With a more-than-enough 2.4 liter engine that delivers surprising fuel economy, as well as plenty of power for such a small car, this Scion easily blows away anything else in its class. The interior is also class-leading, with a long list of standard features that other car companies charge much more for. My advice: Get the manual. It's so much fun to drive! I couldn't ask for anything more in a small car!

Standard Pioneer sound, 17-inch wheels, well-trimmed interior... couldn't ask for much more!

Ride quality is a bit choppy, but that can be expected with the sport tires that this car requires.

Excellent Sporty Ride
By MrE

2005 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This car is so much fun to drive around. It turns on a dime and handles great. Bucket seats in front and back are comfortable, even for road trips. I have always got better than 30 mpg, with the AC on, (over 40 with the wind at my back). AC doesn't feel as cold or powerful as some other vehicles, and has a hard time cooling off in hotter weather but it works fine when I'm by myself. My car does have a lot of road noise though, don't think that's a default on all makes though. I've put 40K miles on in 2 years and my biggest replacement was new tires when I got it.

6 disc changer, manual transmission, roomy, stereo, automatic windows (down &up!) on both sides

None - Great as is!

I like it. Been good to me
By since it came out

2005 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I read about this car and waited its arrival. When they became available I bought one. It's comfortable and reasonably sporty driving wise. I have fit so much stuff in this car at once it's astounding. Flip all the seats down including the passenger by taking the head rest off and you'll be amazed. It does hold the road and corner well and once you get used to the shifter it accelerates with more than enough oomph. I have changed the oil replaced the tires and that is it. I plan on driving it till the wheels fall off and given its performance to date I think that will be a long time coming.

I like the stereo although I would like it if it would go louder. The Cruise is great on long trips. Abs on a car this cheap, wow. I have been really pleased.

I agree with everyone that the paint and body panels are wimpy. I have a lot of dings and scratches. The gearbox needs improvement first gear is kind of jerky. The ac fine in NY but it took for ever when I lived in Texas. Snow handling is awful, snow tires on smaller wheels vast improvement.

Not as great as I 1st thought
By jagon91

2005 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

When i first purchased the car i was excited and it seemed like a pretty sporty car until i used it for a few months and realize it really isnt. it is sluggish and in the manual you are in 5th gear befor 45 or else it just feels strange driving around. i just want a car that i dont have to shift gears before i am halfway through an intersection. build quality is a joke. over time i have found at least 5 different rattles from all over the car. oh and my rear hatch handle straight up came off. repairs cost over 300 if not under warranty anymore and is a well known problem that scion refuses to deal with.

interchangeable parking lights are nice(mine are now blacklight leds) and the exterior looks.

interior is made of cheap plastic that scratches easier than glass, cheap parts, tires that need replacing 2x a year no matter brand/how you drive, shorter doors or one that dont open so wide and a 6th gear or some trans. work because 3500 rpms on the highway is ridiculous!