Used 2005 Scion tC Consumer Reviews - 455 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Scion tC

View reviews for a specific tC model:

Good Car with a Noisy Engine
By 99custom

2005 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

It's my wife's car, but I do all the work on it. It's a good car for the price, but the engine is very loud. If you do your research you will see a problem with waterpumps going out, lifters tapping, and cold starts making lots of noise.

Another problem I have encountered is the breaks. They always make noise in reverse, no matter what. I'm not using cheap parts either.

Of course my rear hatch broke, It's been JB-welded for years now..LOL.

But the car runs good and does not consume oil like others have mentioned online.

It's cheap, and it's built better then a GM.

I think I just listed some.

Fun and Safe!
By goofy11

2005 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I owned this car for nine months and really enjoyed it while it lasted. We had no problems with the car when we bought it from a friend.

The car drives and handles very well for an affordable car. I took it to the track a couple of times and it surprised a professional driver on how well it handles and manages to keep up with a modded Subaru sti, honda s2000, and even a corvette in the corners (although it didn't have the power to keep up on the straights). The car has very good performance for the price. I recommend the manual.

The reason why i didn't own this car to long is because it was totaled in a freak accident at 70 miles an hour, however I was able to walkaway completely unharme

The handling is amazing for a car in this price range. Big back seat for a two door car. (I'm 6'2" and could easy fit back there, and the seats recline!) Versatility of the hatchback trunk. Good looking car.

Could use more power and a 6th gear. Steering wheel (which they updated next year) needs somewhere else to honk the horn rather than along the wheel, way too easy to accidentally honk while going around a corner. needs more head room. its no to bad for me in the front but its a little short in the back. I had the radio volume button stick so that it wouldn't go down. I was able to take the radio out myself though and clean the button and make it good as new.

I absolutely loved and adored my tC but....
By morrisseygirl

2005 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Okay I bought my 2005 tC on May of 05' and I was way super ecstatic. I still was up until my engine blew. I was completely 110% satisfied with it and I still am, that's why I am considering getting another but before I do I really need some feedback on the engine. I'm hoping what happened to my car was a fluke but any information would be great. What happened was the regulator valve or whatever it is that regulates the pressure of the engine apperantly went out. This caused too much pressure in the engine and blew off my oil filter (while driving) and naturally the oil came out while driving. I haven't read anything about this happening but any help would be great.

Pretty much the way it all looks.

Def. the hatch.

Best car I've ever owned!!!
By tabby9111

2005 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I just recently had my Tc totaled by a giant truck and my car gave as much damage as it received.I walked away with out a scratch. I had 161000 miles on my car and it ran perfectly, even though I drove it like I was dale earnhardt. I was so happy with this car that my next car will be another Tc..

I had a manual transmission so it was fun to drive and had lots of kick for a 4cyl. It handles like a race car and had the easiest clutch I've ever used. I loved the interior; all the materials were easy to keep clean and looked great.

The only improvement I can come up with is more insulation for the glass roof it gets insanely hot in the summer.

Scion TCs rear handle hatch molding broke
By sciontc05

2005 Scion tC 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Our 05 Toyota Scion TCs rear handle hatch molding broke of a few years ago, shortly after the hydraulic shocks went out that hold the hatch (after 3 years/20,000mile). The dealer wanted $800 to replace them but suggested we buy after market, which we did but the after markets aren’t hydraulic so the hatch needs more strength to open/lift. Consequently, the trunk handle broke off and trunk release just hangs there. We keep taping it over and over with packing tape but now we have all this layers of ghetto tape. We have noticed a lot of taped Scion tcs and xbs on the road!

We’d like to sell the car but would have to invest over $1500 to make it right. Scion won’t take responsibility for the cheap inferior design and plastic parts. We have spoke to them on the phone many times but they wont help us. We will NEVER buy another Toyota!

We found a Facebook PAGE with helpful info and class action suit.

[HTML removed]

Replace rear garnish with the reinforced part Scion has manufactured and hydraulic shocks that lift/hold trunk hatch up FOR FREE.