Used 2004 Saturn VUE Consumer Reviews - 442 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Saturn VUE

View reviews for a specific VUE model:

It's OK I guess
By Melinda

2004 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased this car new because of the Honda engine and decent gas mileage for an suv. My biggest complaint in the vue is the brakes. I have 100k miles and have replaced the rear (i believe) brakes 5 times! Pads and rotors! Yet NEVER the front ones (the pads once). The wind noise from the windows drives me crazy. The sun visor is way too small for the size of the windshield. I agree with other owners the engine noise is loud. I have major rust on the hatch/trunk door and the rear driver side door never closes unless you slam it. My kids always complain they cant hear the radio and after sitting back there, they're right, why are the speakers on the floor? No more saturns for me!

Very roomy. Im 6ft tall and have no problem sitting in the back seat. I had no problem with a rear facing car seat in the back seat and me in the front. other cars required me to move my seat forward. Decent gas mileage.

Sealing the windows better to prevent air noise. Longer visor to block sun. Better quality doors. BETTER BRAKES!

Transmission Nightmare
By Disappointed

2004 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Transmission shot at 55,000, just out of warranty. Cost to repair: $5,000 to $6,000. $3,100 left on the loan. Class Action suit over the transmission issues just settled. Too little, too late. Saturn has to "reimburse" for transmission replacement up to 125,000 (original owners), but many complaints from people who have had to replaced the transmission yet again. The settlement is bittersweet, since owners have to front the $5,000-$6,000 and wait for the replacement. The transmission flaw was never addressed so you get the same loser the second/third time. Decided to get away from it and traded for a Honda CR-V yesterday. Do your own research on the transmission.

Loved the extras in the base model like the digital compass and outside temp in mirror; heated seats; power seats; ample cargo area.

Until the transmission is redesigned, this vehicle will always be a loser. Saturn knew of the bad tranny and never took responsiblity for it. Saturn Service Dept. was never pleasant experience. They make a ton of money on "diagnostics" and don't fix the vehicle. Bad attitude. :(

Bring back the Poly
By Very Happy

2004 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The Vue is a practical utility vehicle that provides much comfort and fuel efficiency. I traded a civic for it as I needed more room for the weekend projects. My kids love it and it has a great ride. The 2.2 liter-4-cylinder motor provides enough power and cruise stays locked on regardless of the hills. I average 25mpg with mixed driving and don't notice the road noise mentioned by a previous review. It is likely the noise from the previous review is due to the tires.

Love the polymer panels and think GM/Saturn needs to bring them back as they lighten the vehicle. The 09 Saturns don't come close in MPG.

Interior plastic is a bit on the cheaper side. Would like to see Saturn bring back the polymer panels.........

Great value and performance!
By jthanan

2004 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the VUE for its utility and it hasn't let me down. With the back seats and front passenger seat folded down I can haul the equipment for my entire band! Have had the truck for almost a year and put about 20K miles on it and haven't had a single problem. Has made multiple trips Wisconsin-South Florida with no problems. Averages about 20mpg in the city and around 25-26mpg highway. The VUE is also great for towing, I pull a 1500 pound fishing boat with it and the VUE takes it all in stride.

Engine and transmission, performance, exterior styling, hauling and towing ability.

Interior materials quality, wind noise, bouncy ride at times.

No more American Cars for me
By Juan Ontiveros

2004 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car because my wife thought it will be a good car for us. I bought it with 40000 miles and it has been problem after problem O2 sensors changed both front and back, muffler under warranty was changed now I have to change the thermostat this car only has now 75000 thousand miles and I dont want it anymore and we promised ourselves we will never buy an American car anymore only Toyota or Honda.