Used 2003 Saturn VUE SUV Consumer Reviews - 406 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Saturn VUE SUV

View reviews for a specific VUE model:

Too bad for me!
By tq1221

2003 Saturn VUE SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl CVT)

I bought this car new in 2003, and was very happy with it for the first six or seven years.
I am now holding my breath because I have the infamous CVT tranny.
I have less than 65,000 miles on it, but won't drive it out of town for fear that the tranny will fail.
I am amazed at the number of people who have bought this car in the last year or two.
Any amount of research would have revealed the issue and the 2007 class-action suit filed against Saturn.
The judgement was against them, and they were told to cover 100% of repair/replacement costs.
Since GM filed bankruptcy, they have weaseled out of that and will only cover half.
Half of over $7500 is waaay too much!

Great in snow, and before the problems, loved the smooth acceleration of the VTI. I believe any version with a conventional tranny would be a good buy.

Ditch the tranny!

piece of junk
By angryenuff

2003 Saturn VUE SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl CVT)

i bought my saturn at a buy here pay here place.it looked like a great car and it seemed like a great car till 6 months after i bought it and the tranny went out
in the 100,000 mile marker.now im being told it s my problem.so i was so irate that they had to of known and i dont have the money to repair it .i told them to shove that car were the sun doesnt shine.oh well there goes my credit.dont buy this car unless you have a lot of extra money to waist on repairs.

i like the easy steering and the room inside. its also great in the snow

recall all of these cars so no one else gets ripped off.

Piece of junk! DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!
By osuraerae

2003 Saturn VUE SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl CVT)

We had the Vue for one week and the moon roof broke...then the transmission went out. We were told only a Saturn dealer could fix it and we took it to the dealer and they said it would cost $7600 to fix it! We traded the piece of junk in...it wasn't worth it! Do not buy this car! You will regret it!

None this car was crap!

Change the transmission and EVERYTHING about this car, it sucks!

Good for the Money. Would buy again
By Josh

2003 Saturn VUE SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2003 Saturn Vue 4 cylinder with a 5 speed manual transmission. I read on this site that the CVT were garbage but the manuals were worth the money. I love my car. I drive back and forth about 120 miles per day working about 1.5 hours away from my home. I bought the car with 70,000 miles on it. I just passed 105,000 miles and it is still running strong! The car is fun to drive. The only improvements I would have is that create stain free carpets and a quieter ride. The car is a little noisy on the highway. Saturn Customer service could be a little better because when calling for a particular part, I was given the run around. All in all, a great buy for the quality and price.

Cargo room, 5-speed manual, spacious back seat, fun to drive

Stain-free carpet, Saturn customer service, quieter ride.

Not too shabby, buy the 5 speed
By ed

2003 Saturn VUE SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

It is a great basic car to get you to point a to b and hopefully back to point a. NO frills no thrills it's great on gas I can get about 320 miles mostly city driving some hwy. It is not too comfy and doesn't handle the best. If you can forgo some points, it is a great daily driver. Just make sure you get the 5 speed the cvt stinks and will break. The engine is noisy and has no power just know you will not merge too fast, just use your head and pre-plan entry exit off hwy. It has held up nicely so far. had to replace ball joints, sway bar links and motor mounts with wear and tear any car will need this stuff. The 5 speed shifts nice it is made by Getrag, same as BMW supplier

Cheap to buy and own great deals out there now, too bad for the original owners however great for used car buyers...

more power 2.2L more NVH, too much wind noise. too much plastic but who cares Saturn is out of business no one is listening anyway...