Used 2001 Saturn S-Series Consumer Reviews - 152 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Saturn S-Series

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

Love My Saturn
By Giggles

2001 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

Bought our Saturn used with 49,000 miles as a rebuild. Drove it from Washington to Florida and back again one summer and it did great and all we had to do was change the oil. Generally speaking we get 30 to 40 miles per gallon. It's fun to drive.

I like the third door, it makes putting things and children in the back seat a lot easier.

It has the turning radius of a large truck which is weird for a little car. It's also so light that if you don't have good tread on your tires you will spin out in even wet pavement let alone snow or ice.

GM Junk (Saturn)
By lewis1029

2001 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

Auto Transmission failed at 53,000 miles. Also, an electronic control affecting the transmission also had to be replaced. Had constant problems with a fast idle which was finally fixed but not by dealer. Has the 100 hp engine and is underpowered. Have to be very careful when merging with traffic. Worst car buying decision I ever made!

Gets good mileage.

Thank God Saturn is gone. "Government Motors" should follow!

This is a good car
By m2a5r

2001 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

This is the first car I bought after having my license a few years.. It drives great for having 132,000 miles on it when I purchased it. No storage area inside though, but rather large trunk. It gets about 22 mpg. Great car for young person to get from A to B.

More interior Storage

A great little commuter car
By themrfreeze

2001 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car 18 months ago with only 44K miles on the odometer. For a daily driver to get me to/from work, it's hard to beat an S-series Saturn. Even in the middle of winter, with snow tires installed, in stop-and-go driving, it still returns 26 MPG. In the summer, closer to 30-31 in the city. Cars are durable, reliable, and cheap/easy to maintain. Only put a muffler on it and replaced one engine sensor since buying it. I'd buy these cars forever if I could.

Dent resistant body panels, ease of maintenance, simple no-frills interior, smooth shifting manual transmission.

Revive Saturn, kill GM, and start making these cars again. An updated version would sell like crazy!

2001 Saturn Sl
By Ben

2001 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car over 3 years now and love it. Bought it with 96,000 on it and it now has 151,000 and runs great. Over the years I had minor issues, that usually come with owning a high mileage car. Belt, tires, tie rod, and a wheel bearing. For what I paid for the car and as long as I have had it. I give thanks to the builders for never having me stuck on the side of the road.

5 speed stick