Used 2001 Saturn S-Series Consumer Reviews - 152 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Saturn S-Series

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

Good little car
By dab1983

2001 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car used in 2008 with 105k miles after my 94 SL2 finally died at 204k. 3 years later, it now has 168k miles and is still running strong.
The only issues I've had other than routine maintenance is a bad oxygen sensor that made my car run rough ($70 fix), a passenger power window went out ($100 fix), and an A/C leak ($125 fix).
Other than that, it runs like the day I bought it. Exterior still looks new with no scratches or dings thanks to those dent resistant panels and I take very good care of the interior so it still looks good as well.
I see a lot of people bashing Saturn on here, but I have owned two Saturns and they both served me well.

Exterior still looks new (dent resistant panels) Good on gas Reliable Excellent factory sound system Low Cost of Ownership

Could use a little more power Plasticky interior

Don't want to get rid of it
By alynn01

2001 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

I have had my SC2 for over 4 years now and love it. It has 230k miles on it now and the only things I've had to replace other than breaks and other routine maitenance is the transmission which was the shops fault (transmission flush and didn't put fluid back in) but that wasn't even until 209k and I just recently had to put a new starter in it. When the engine blows I will be putting a Ion redline engine in it though.

I love having 6 different cup holders. Makes picking up food for my whole family a little bit easier. The third door though is super conveniant and everyone that sees it is taken back by it.

I drive back and forth almost everyone weekend from northwestern Ohio to Flint, Michigan and the seats are just uncomfortable to sit in for long drives.

Love and Hate
By waffle413

2001 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

It was the first car I ever owned, and i loved it... until problems started stacking up on it. the front right knuckle gave out on me first, then the engine and trans followed. It didn't help with the costs any that Saturn parts are hard to find.
The interior is a bit odd and there really is no room to put people in the back seat. The whole layout of the car is strange, it is awkward and cramped.
I always told people that it is a great car, when it works properly though.

Either way, it was my first car and i loved it but it just leeched money from me every chance it got.

A Decent Kind Of Car
By gabbyranger100

2001 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the car back in February 2007 for my wife with 95,849 miles on the odometer. We drove it to Florida 6 months later and spent 100 dollars roundtrip on fuel. The only problems we had with it were a bad ignition coil, a/c compressor quit working, water leak(ending up replacing the radiator, water pump and thermostat). Otherwise, it's a decent kind of car but I rarely drive it because it's too small for me but perfect for my 5'3" wife. I have no complaints about it. We currently have over 160,000 miles on the car and still going strong.

Fuel Mileage

Best Car I've EVER Owned!
By krose3622

2001 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car used, with a little over 100K, for $2500 (a steal). It has been a life saver of a vehicle... we own an old Chevy pickup (1980's), a 1995 blazer, and a 2000 Pontiac Montana and this Saturn has outlived them all. All of our other vehicles have been in and out of the shop for numerous thins (transmission, blown radiator, bad head gasket) and the Saturn has always been our primary vehicle, never letting us down. It now has over 152K and has needed nothing besides routine maintenance and brakes. Reliable, GREAT gas milage, handles well in all weather conditions. My boyfriend is 6'2" and drives it to and from work daily. Seats are a uncomfortable though for long trips.