Used 2001 Saturn S-Series Consumer Reviews - 152 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Saturn S-Series

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

The best car if you're looking for a relibale one!
By jpnrmr

2001 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

My first car- got my 2001 Saturn when I turned 16. A hand-me-down, almost 8 yrs old w/ 130k at the time. The car is not fast, a little loud & is incredibly basic- BUT my family has gone through many cars over the years and this one is still kicking with over 180k & very minimal needed work (sister drives it now). I have only needed it fixed 2 or 3 times, ever (aside from regular maintenance).
I had it until 2012 & my friends used to joke about how I had the same crappy old saturn from high school. Nothing crappy about having an old car that runs awesome, has awesome fuel economy & still looks decent!
Awesome car- don't pass it up if you're looking for a reliable, efficient car!

Reliability, gas mileage, audio (this car has really nice sound. I used to blast my music, and it was always very clear, with a bass that sounded like I had a sound system installed in there)

Very basic, a little loud

Never again
By indihippi

2001 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

This car has been nothing but a nightmare for my husband and I. At 70k miles, the ENGINE blew. We replaced the engine because it was cheaper than buying a new car, but there are just too many problems. Too much road noise, it shakes, the radio went out. We have to change the oil so often, it's crazy. The acceleration, especially on inclines, is terrible. Due to a flood, we will be getting rid of this car. We will never buy another Saturn.

best car i have ever driven
By saturnsl

2001 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car for 800 dollars about five years ago and the only thing that has gone out is the alternator. i dont keep up with maintenance i hate to admit but it keeps on chugging along. i have had dodges before this but they never lasted as long as this thing. my girlfriend has a maxima and it has a problem a week ,. so this car by far is more reliable than most. and the fact that i see them everywhere in town more often than other old cars should really tell you something

Performance, reliability and style.

Bigger engine

Don't want to sell it :(
By clone63

2001 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

I am only selling my car because I need a large vehicle for work and it is not economical to keep both.
Bought it at 140Km, drove it for 5 years until 250Km, in that time it needed:
Flex pipe, starter, washer fluid pump, and PCV valve.
Pretty good!
Everything still works, was quite abused when I took it, still driving well.
Probably needs brakes and tire rod ends.
Not exactly a thrilling ride, but VERY economical (beats most sedan's MPG) and easy to drive.
Also burned oil since day one, but no problems!

Plastic body is great, still looks brand new. MPG is great (24/36). More room than other commuters. The whole car! Want to keep it, haha.

Not a very attractive design. Interior compartments could have been more useful. Junky CD player. Why do they seem to burn oil?

First car, and only car for a LONG time.
By eekochy

2001 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

I recieved my little 2001 SC2 as a birthday present nearly two years ago now. The only problems I've ever had have been the result of the first owner. For example, I just got my car out of the shop because it had been cutting out on the road. While this scared me to death, it turned out that the battery and the cables were both as old as the car (11!) and had never been replaced. Now that these parts have been replaced, it's running like a charm and I couldn't ask for better. Honestly, as with any car, the SC2 will last as long as you're willing to take care of it. My father has gone through 4 Jeeps during the life of my little car, so if the SC2 isn't a hardy car I don't know what is!

- the bucket seats - the large dashboard and windshield - size of car (can easily maneuver around larger vehicles in tight traffic) - size allows for easy cleaning and access - SUPERB sound system. Haven't heard better in a vehicle. - "bullet" design of car: provides great aerodynamics. - great gas mileage (usually gets 30mpg or higher, although I fuel up with 89) - climate control is responsive and immediate: virtually no delay, A/Cis crisp. - with mirrors adjutd properly, driver has NO blind spots. Great visibility. - sunroof :) - third door! (how could I forget?) makes it SO easy to access the rear, my sister can easily get in the back and the "hidden" door makes the SC2 very unique.

If anything, the brakes in my car leave something to be desired. This problem is probably unique to me, but my brakes often make funny noises while decelerating (the brakes themselves work perfectly though).