Used 2001 Saturn S-Series Consumer Reviews - 152 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Saturn S-Series

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

Great car
By Starrn1007

2001 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my '01 SC2 used at 48,000 miles. I never had really any problems with it except for my upper motor mount collapsed at about 75k. All in all, I loved this car before I traded. It could have a little more power, but seeing as though it isn't made anymore, that won't happen. I traded at 77k. I wanted something with a V6.This car has a very sporty look and was very realiable. With routine maintence it will last for a long time.

Leather seats, sunroof, great gas mileage. Third door was very useful.

Well it isnt made anymore, but if so, I would say give it more power.

Very satisfied
By Gerry

2001 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

Very nice car for the money. Gas mileage is great. Interior could have more options and more detail though. Very reliable vehicle. 3rd door is great for access to the rear two seats although the rear seats are rather small. I am 6'2 and would not be comfortable at all having to sit there. The two rear seats both fold down (60-40) which provides additional trunk space. Overall very happy with the vehicle and do not regret the purchase at all. Would do it egain.

Exterior design and ease of interior parts removal for aftermarket audio/video components.

More detail to interior. More leg room in rear.

We own 5 Saturns!
By lisa

2001 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

My family loves our Saturns. This one is great for city and highway driving! Unlike some smaller cars I've had, this one "keeps her feet on the ground" when passing semi trucks on the highway, and also remains in control during heavy rain, etc. I take care to always have the oil changed and such, but other than that, no maintence expenses. Just put new tires on after 5 years of ownership, and replaced the battery. That's been it so far. Love my Saturn, would highly recommend!

The third door is wonderful! I got an entire kitchen table and four chairs into my SC2 once, and nothing amuses me more than pulling my car up for a pick up. The looks on the clerks are priceless! The pull down back seats to the truck help with this too.

I love the height off the ground. It's really low and as a 5'6" woman, it's a perfect fit for me. However, my 6'2" dad always feels a bit cramped. Personally though, I wouldn't change it. People who need bigger cars will buy them, and I feel great in this car!

Ehhhh
By Andrew

2001 Saturn S-Series SC1 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased car used with 26000 miles. Decent power-to-weight ratio. Transmission wore a hole in itself at 47k, had 50% worn clutch replaced too. At 57k, ignition went bad to the point that the car cannot be turned on if the key is put into the lock postion. Thank goodness the key comes out before the car is turned off. Dome light broke off and hung by wires somehow. Rotors are warped so that stopping from high speeds causes severe shaking. Major con is that only Saturn dealerships will do work on the car, a fact that becomes very expensive very quickly. Overall, car is simply shaky and not very solid, especially at 65+ mph. Bad resale value. Will not own another Saturn.

Dent/rust resistant paneling, good gas mileage, third door, good cargo room for a small car, change-oil light

More powerful powerplant, better transmission, stronger clutch, better first gear-ratio for better off-the- line response, oil-filter placement, higher red-line rpm, build quality, stiffer suspension, only make side panels plastic

Watch out for transmission
By Knight

2001 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

Transmission just failed in SL 1 2001 Saturn at 55,000 miles. PM exceeded requirements. Driven very little. Would not recommed a Saturn. Will replace with Honda Civic.

None

Too numerous to mention. Design and build a reliable drive train would be a good start.