Used 2001 Saturn S-Series Consumer Reviews - 152 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Saturn S-Series

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

Won't buy another
By Jason Mertens

2001 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new and now have 81k. So far have replaced ignition, brake rotors and intake gasket (labor $$$). Seats do not fit my back at all. Engine started using oil at 30k. Uses most oil at freeway speeds (1qt/400-600 miles). There is no reason a car made in the year 2000 should need things replaced or use oil this soon. I've done all my own maintenance and have not abused this car (my wife is very kind to the car). Never have gotten 38mpg like they say the manual tranny can. Got 37mpg after installing K&N air filter (up from 35mpg). My '85 Toyota truck and '93 Mazda 626 had less trouble and they were pretty abused due to my youth and had 150k. Not a happy customer

Scan button on the radio. My wife likes the car, so I guess that is a good feature except she won't sell it.

Put oil filter someplace where it won't drip over 3 different things when changing it. Better quality engine, brake rotors, ignition, and intake gasket.

Disappointed with my Saturn SC2
By jsan

2001 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

Don't waste your money on a SC2. My car has left me stranded in the middle of the night too many times. The service deparment at my dealership don't know what they are doing. My 3 yr old car was towed 4 times.

Cute car - Pretty good car so far
By Lana

2001 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

Since I owned my car 02/04 to me it was like a new car with only 20k miles when purchased. It did however, have issues which were upsetting, leaking doors, sills, trunk, it needed all new weatherstripping which was replaced for free. Had to have the following replaced: CD player-twice, entire sunroof replaced - twice, manifold gasket coolant leak into spark plugs/heads (covered under warranty),map lights broke,leaks under heavy rain, rattles and squeaks. Its been a great car besides the stupid things, I have a 5spd so its fun to drive, sporty and good on gas. Plastic doors are great but, still get chipped by parking lot parkings. Good car overall lucky i got the warranty to 4yr/100k.

Great stereo speaker system, outside body styling, 3rd door nice and plastic body a plus should have this on imports!

Make more reliable and not so cheap.

Automatic Transaxel Problems
By Scott

2001 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

Overall it is a great car, corners very well, and accelerates quickly. On the other hand the car has only 35k miles on it and the transaxel is going out. Will not go in reverse (unless cold) and shifts hard into 2nd. This is the automatic transaxel though.

3rd door, and it does have guts for a 4banger.

I have talked to other owners and read maney other review of the S-series having this problem with the tranny, it is a manufaturers defect. But it always goes out after the warrenty period.

Saturns can take a whoopin'
By Drove a Saturn

2001 Saturn S-Series SC1 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

I have taken this car 43 miles each way to work for nearly 7 years with nearly zero maintenance. Good car for a Grad.

Feel during turns. Fun to drive.

It cannot pass. No guts.