Used 2000 Saturn S-Series Consumer Reviews - 97 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Saturn S-Series

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

Boring but Bulletproof
By Kevin McCormick

2000 Saturn S-Series SW2 4dr Wagon

I have abused the hell out of this car and it is still going strong. I purchased the car in 2005 for $400 from a female friend who "forgot to put oil into it" and threw a rod through the block at 90k miles. $600 and 12 hours later ans I had the car on the road. I have used the car as my pickup truck for 4 years carrying as much as 2000 lbs in weight both in the car as well as on the roof. I have also towed a 2000 lb trailer with the car. I currently have 175k kiles on the car and it just wont die. This car has been the epitome of reliability. Also, I have gotten as much as 42 miles to a gallon out of a tank of gas, not bad for a pickup truck

The cargo space is good enough for 25 bags of concrete and the roof will hold 24 sheets of 1/2" 4x8 sheetrock. (Yes, I have done both)

Availability of a full size trailer hitch, so I don't have to retofit it with one from a Ford F-150 (Yup, did that as well)

10 yrs more please!
By judders

2000 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

My SL2 4dr sedan has consistently gotten 40 mpg on the highway & 26- 28mpg in the city---I drive everywhere, but only have 90000mi -- this is a great comfortable,economic car--manual transmission is fun and responsive--still have original clutch, muffler--love this car.

gas mileage, safety features, price,manual transmission--no frills, just ac and abs

hopefully Saturn has improved the fabric on seats so there are no more shocks. Wipers could be better--- since they no longer make it--my only suggestion would be to go back and back it again--it was a winner!

Huge Saturn Fan
By SaturnFan

2000 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe

This has been the greatest car I have ever owned. Reliable, superb gas mileage (I still get around 32 mpg, 10 years on) and good in snow, believe it or not.

It's a tiny tank. Northern New England winters are perilous; this car has NEVER let me down. I love this car.

Rides very low; can't take my 86 year old dad out in it anymore because he can't get out of it easily.

Die Hard Saturn
By fenachrone

2000 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

At 192K miles, my SL2 shows no signs of quitting. Repairs since I've owned it have been: brakes relined several times, O2 sensor, stabilizer bar links, valve cover gasket, wheel bearings, and a few other small things. The car has used a quart every 1000 miles or so; seems to be just the way it is with this vehicle, and you get used to it, watching that dipstick carefully. No problems with the engine that might show cylinder wear though. I think Saturn may have been at the top of their game here and this has been by far the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. It was made in Canada; could that have anything to do with it?

Great stereo, pretty good handling, decent gas mileage

Maybe seating could be improved.

Not bad, great on gas
By rossic

2000 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe

Got the SC2 in 2004 with 76k miles. Have put on hard highway and around town miles (I'm not easy on cars) up to 122k now. Very reliable starting and driving, not so much for interior, fit, finish, peripheral engine parts, etc. Have needed to replace coolant temp sensor, fuel pump, automatic trans speed sensor, everything else routine. Engine burns oil slowly (have heard this is a Saturn problem) and loses coolant during cold months. Terrible on snow and ice due to very light weight. Nearly unusable rear seats, uncomfortable front. Everything shakes at highway speeds (also seems to be common on this model), loud, cheap interior. Great gas mileage, decent looks, easy to drive, low power

Gas mileage! Easy to drive, no-dent exterior panels, third door makes back seat entry more reasonable. Overall, a fairly good cheap commuter car

Improved quality interior, better ergonomics, seats, noise dampening, etc. More power for hills and highway speeds. All this would also make it a more expensive car, thus defeating the purpose of this model.