Used 2000 Saturn S-Series Consumer Reviews - 97 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Saturn S-Series

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

One of the most cost effective car on the road
By ron_j

2000 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

Have this car for 10 years, besides a recent intake manifold change, this car only needs basic maintenance. Very good at gas mileage. parts are easy to get and cheap. At 13 years old of this car, and at 120,000 miles I drove it in a 3000 mile cross country trip without a slight problem. The car drives a like a champ. Outside paint is of good quality. After a heavy rain, the car shines beautifully like it was new 13 years ago.

Overall, very basic but extremely reliable car, very economically to own. This is the best car I've ever owned, and I have no doubt it will last 300,000 miles.

2nd Worst Car I've ever owned !
By saturnh8ter

2000 Saturn S-Series SW2 4dr Wagon

This car is a lousy vehicle.
It is not the worst car I have ever owned (I had a 74 Pinto stationwagon!) but this one is a close second.
Bought car used at 90k miles after reading all the glowing reviews about the car and gave it to my wife.
Three months later the engine lost oil pressure and had to be replaced.
Now after 30k on a Saturn remanufactured motor, the head gasket is leaking.
The auto trans sometimes has a hard time finding reverse, the fit and finish of the car is horrible, everything seems cheap!
It is hard to get in and out of; I like to tell people it has all of the
bad traits of a sportscar with none of the fun of driving one.
No wonder Saturn went out of business ! !

The gas mileage is pretty good, 40+mpg on a highway trip.

Buy something else.....

Suprised, Not Shocked!
By brewcity

2000 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe

I purchased the vehicle in late 2006, and the vehicle had roughly 56,000 miles on it. The car is in good condition and have made some decent long "distant" trips and has not disappointed me on trips YET!

I average about 29.5 mi/gal. Respectively I have not had a HUGE engine problem. The entire cloth is clean and in good shape, and the outside is clean. Good for winter driving, unless you get banked in.

The braking system is kind of soft, and not your typical easing to stop. I have had to replace the Computer Module, wheel bearings, tie rods, Emission Control System. "Respectively" $2500~ in repairs. Oil has tendency to burn. No reason Saturn is done with.

Engine stops
By wilson

2000 Saturn S-Series SW2 4dr Wagon

Great auto except now at 75,000 miles engine stalls after 15 min of drive time and i need to shut motor down. Wait 15 -- 20 min restart and resume my short trips. What would cause the engine to stall and after a wait it start up and away I go? Some 30 years ago I know vapor lock was a problem on some cars. My problem appears to duplicate that problem.

A Workhorse
By Jason

2000 Saturn S-Series SC1 3dr Coupe

My Saturn SC1 3-door coupe has been a workhorse since I first purchased it over 10 years ago. In Texas, I used to drive back and forth to Florida, Alabama, Louisiana quite often and had no trouble. I then moved to Southern California and had to contend with the traffic here which has pushed it to its limits. I have over 130k miles, do regular preventative maintenance and have never had any major problems. I've had to replace the battery and tires a few times and just recently had a new water pump installed. Other than that, I love this car. I hope to push it up to the 250k mileage mark. When the time comes, I'm going to hate replacing this reliable vehicle. RIP Saturn.

Gas Mileage, Mechanical Reliability, Durable Exterior panels, Sound System (I still have the stock speakers and they play just as well as they did when they were brand new)

Seat Comfort, Trunk has no spring so you have to lower it carefully or you'll find yourself slamming it accidentally, Gas Cap could have been improved upon