Used 1999 Saturn S-Series Consumer Reviews - 153 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Saturn S-Series

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

What a deal
By karatedaddy

1999 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I bought this car almost exactly 1 year ago today. It had 172,000 on it when I bought it. It now has 202,000. It still runs perfect and shows no signs of quitting! I have only had to do basic maintenance on it. No major mechanical repairs. I travel a lot and the gas mileage is very impressive! I get about 30 in town and about 38 mpg on the highway. If I slow down and run about 65 mph I can get it over 40 mpg. This has been an excellent car. I am hoping it will last until I finish college. I think it will! I paid $2000.00 for it. I think I got a great deal! Too bad they have phased out Saturn. No wonder they have to take government bailouts! They stop building their best cars! Just my opinion!

Gas mileage, leg room, plastic body does not rust

Maybe a little more power under the hood. It is sufficient, but definitely not a speed demon!

2nd SW2!
By myriadapps

1999 Saturn S-Series SW2 4dr Wagon

This is my second Saturn SW2, the other was a 2000 that I drove until I decided I needed a new car, and then I regretted it almost every day. I flew down to Florida and bought this one off the Internet with only 32K, now has 76K and I couldn't be happier. Both this one and my previous one, which I bought at 10K and sold at 150K, never failed to start and only needed standard upkeep (tires, brakes, hoses, etc.). I never had to do a major repair on either one. I like the power and the drivability of the SW2. I am sad that after this one I won't be able to get a replacement, the newer Saturns just weren't as good and of course now you can't get them at all.

Power, reliability, excellent paint and exterior

Poor placement of cup holders (and not enough), headliners don't last

Don't buy a 99 Saturn (unless it's mine)
By Esoterica

1999 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

My friend maintained this car well. I/we have dumped too much money into replacing the cheap parts they used to manufacure it with. The sunroof was replaced 3x before the warranty ran out and has not worked since. Fuse box, rear axle & complete break system failure. Next rebuild the engine & the car will have been completely gone through. It has the squirreliest steering too.

All though it blows white smoke & gets stuck in high idle it still gets 28-30 mpg in the city. That's the only thing I can say good about it. Oh, the CD player still works :-)

I totally agree with not manufacturing these cars anymore. I would not dare to drive it too far for fear of getting stranded again.

great first 10 years
By ike

1999 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

Best small car ever owned first 10 years can still hit 40 mpg at 60 mph without air on, a-c always works, at 104000 and 10 years old, needed new head 2 grand to put in, later in year 11 a coolant sensor $ 200

economy, always started

softer armrest, more HP

Great Car. It Saved 2 lifes.
By Nicky Popo

1999 Saturn S-Series SC2 2dr Coupe

Got My Saturn in March 2003 and its one of the Best Cars I have ever ownned. In the 6 1/2 Years I owned this car I only had to Put two new tires on it and got it with 30'000 Miles. While stopped for a turn my 6 month Pregnant wife was rear ended by a van doing 50 mph and pushed into oncoming traffic where she was hit Head on again by a Mercury Grand doing 50. She and the Baby were fine. Bumps, and cuts thats All. I know this car saved her and the Babies Life. This car was a Miracle. I wanted to keep this car forever.

Paint looks like new, Great Gas Mileage, Reliabily, Great Pickup.

The Fact that I cant buy a new one now.