Used 1999 Saturn S-Series Consumer Reviews - 155 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Saturn S-Series

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

Fun little car
By jenny

1999 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

Fun little car. Great gas mileage. Very reliable. Easy to maintain. Good car for a younger drive.

All Plastic=NO Rust.

Great model. Too bad it was discontinued.

Won't Buy Another Saturn
By stephmi

1999 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I come from a Saturn family. My father has bought four of them since 1993. I loved driving his car in high school, so I bought one for myself. Since then, my brother bought a newer model as well. We both have been burdened with our cars. His car's engine blew after 36000 miles. I have replaced the brakes, four power window motors, the motor on my wipers, and now a transmission. The car sounds awful and runs worse. What you do manage to save on gas mileage you will spend on oil. My car needs to have a quart of oil replaced every 1000 miles. Three times a year I have to take the alloy wheels in to be have them ground down because the corosion causes my tires to lose pressure.

Gas mileage and the plastic body. I never have to worry about it rusting.

The problems that I listed in my review are not unique. Check out other customer reviews on the web and you'll find that the same things happen over and over, and yet Saturn doesn't offer a recall on any of them! My dad's '93 is still running great. Too bad they changed the way they do business.

Not bad for an American car
By Gator06

1999 Saturn S-Series SC2 2dr Coupe

My SC2 has been fairly reliable. I like the overall styling on the exterior, the dent-resistant panels and the front-seat interior room. The performance is pretty good for an economy car. Cons would have to be the cheap interior parts and the paint on the front bumper and mirrors has chipped very easily.

Styling, seat comfort in front, fairly reliable

Noisy, paint quality, interior materials, sunroof poorly made (leaks)

Extremely Satisfied
By mommak_03

1999 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe

This car has been amazing. I've owned it for 2 and a half years. It has been great with all weather conditions. The only drawback is with the leather seats they are very weather dependent. Yet you will get that with all leather, not just this make. It handles well in all driving conditions: city, mountains, and even back country dirt roads. For anyone who likes an easy to clean car, this is for you!

Automatic sliding sunroof, rear defrost, sound quality of radio

Can't find anything to break!
By Drew

1999 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe

I like to modify my cars, but I can't bring myself to do it until something breaks. I've had this car for almost 2 years, and I haven't had to replace anything but the battery and the exhaust ( The exhaust wasn't broken, but I decided to hop it up anyways). I have owned 7 cars, and this one is better than a '99 Civic, '92 Olds, 2001 Focus, or even a '91 Camaro. This was the smartest car buy I have made yet.

Acceleration can match an IROC-Z Camaro, third door still draws attention, engine smoothness and durability, interior simplicity,

It could be a little bit bigger, but other than that, I can't find anything wrong with it.