Used 1998 Saturn S-Series Consumer Reviews - 127 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Saturn S-Series

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly- Saturn SC
By John

1998 Saturn S-Series SC1 2dr Coupe

I bought this car used. I think this was in a flood because it has had a very unusual repair history. I have not added it up, but the car may have exceeded its original list price in repair bills. The original owner had a stack of receipts & in 3 years I've spent over $2000 on repairs. Always starts - wish it would just die so I would junk it. I don't want to condemn the brand, but I think Saturns come in 3 styles- Good, Bad, & Ugly- I have a really ugly one. I really hate this car & I'm still driving it. If you buy a bad one, donate it & get rid of it. Plan on getting rid of mine soon.+ Getting out of it kills your back & knees nor fat friendly.

None. Interior was designed by ignoramus. Just plain stupid style. The trunk is a hair larger than an MGB. Did I mention I hate this car? Forget about Home Depot or Lowe's- you won't fit anything in it. Favorite feature- saving money. Can't buy anything because it wont fit in car

Donate it. Rescue Squads can carve it up with a jaws of life. Fire Depts can put it out for practice. Demolition derby for a guaranteed loser. Give it to somebody who thinks you like them, but you really don't... Improve this thing, make it right, put in a console, not a tray.

Nothing but minor problems
By Saturn Owner

1998 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1998 saturn in 2002. Everything was perfect until 2005 (after the warranty expired). Since then everything slowly went on the car to include the back rear windows, brakes (expected), muffler, starter, all 4 tires (expected), ABS module, exhaust pipe cracking, wheel bearings, and now the shift cable. Currently in the shop AGAIN. But the car has lasted, just annoying to keep fixing all of these things. Still cheaper than buying a new car.

THe back seat opening up to the trunk, mileage is great, car drives good in bad weather conditions due to ABS.

More rust proof in the finish coat and the exposed auto parts.

Not a Honda or Toyota
By Subaroid!

1998 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

We bought this with around 60k miles, but were told it was mostly towed behind a RV. By about 70,000-80,000 miles things started going wrong. The coolant temp sensor went bad, the power steering rack took a dump, and it began to vibrate excessively at idle. We put motor mounts in it (twice) and it didn't help. The interior is cheap and seems flimsy. Lots of squeaks and rattles and it's noisy inside...lots of road and tire noise. The engine is unrefined, buzzy, and noisy. Gas mileage is disappointing. The Saturn tries real hard to be a Honda Civic or Toyota Camry, but falls well short.

Cheap to insure Somewhat-dent-resistant body Good handling Good automatic transmission

Road and tire noise. Uncomfortable seats. Bumpy ride. Engine vibrations! Noisy, unrefined engine. Smooshy brake pedal feel.

the little car that could
By aw

1998 Saturn S-Series SW1 4dr Wagon

I love my SW1!!! 200,000+ miles replaced my thermostat, battery, plugs/wires, serpentine belt, brakes, 2 sets of tires and O2 sensor. That's all even still has the original clutch. It still gets 40 mpg. for hwy only it has gotten me 48-52 mpg. Put mid to premium in it big difference. door seals do need replaced but it has lasted with 3 young boys who demolish everything. I would recommend Saturn to everyone.

Miles per Gallon, literally saved me thousands

cosmetic items: like middle console cracks, rear upper handles screws will pop out, door seals come loose

This car will not die
By jenj2

1998 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

I love this little car. I was rear ended three times and nothing ever goes wrong with this car. It is now over 10 years old and still runs great. The only maintenence I ever need to do on it is the uaual oil change and I had to replace the battery due to my own neglagence.

Reliability safety and gas milage

The inside is a little is unattractive but if your looking for a reliable car this is it.