Used 1998 Saturn S-Series Consumer Reviews - 127 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Saturn S-Series

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

Better MPG then a prius!
By jogbehle

1998 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I love it! I got it used with 210,000 miles on it with a siezed engine for 300 dollars. Rebuilt the engine and I have now put almost 20,000 miles on it in less then a year and the car is fine! The transmission and everything else is original and it is acting fine. I get on average 45 mpg hwy, and 32 mpg city. Small enough that if you need to parallel park you and your friend can lift it into the space (its been done). And because of the front wheel drive/manual tranny combo it does amazingly well in the snow!

The MPG!

Seats are a little uncomfortable on long rides.

I owe this car a review - It's well earned.
By gtomonster

1998 Saturn S-Series SC2 2dr Coupe

I created an account just for the purpose to compliment this vehicle. It's my wifes car, we've had it for about 5 years and 80,000 miles. It's at 166,000 right now and it still runs, drives, and looks great. I'm 6'3" 200lbs so I'm not a fan of smaller cars, but really this isn't too bad. Plain and simple, it is without a doubt the most affordable, most reliable, trouble free car I have EVER owned, been around or known of - Period. I'm my own mechanic, I know cars and I know things like brakes, tires, and mufflers wear out. That's about all we've had to replace on this car - And the best part is all the parts are super cheap! Average of 30 MPG with a driving ratio of 70 hwy/ 30 city

Fun, zippy little car that is ULTRA reliable. It hauls if you run it through the gears to redline - And yes I do, and yes it's fun, and yes it's still reliable! Looks good and sporty from the outside. Plastic body panels are AWESOME! You always have a dent free car. Too bad the Saturn line has retired.

For the cars price range and purpose I don't think you could ask for more. If I wanted to be picky I would suggest better seats, I don't think it's too confortable after about an hour or two of driving.

323,000 miles and still going strong!
By serine459

1998 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I bought my 98 Saturn SL2 5 speed manual new in 1998 and I can't believe after 323,000 miles that it is still going strong.
Yes I have had to replace many things, but never anything major like a transmission.
It is now burning oil but you would expect that at this point.
It has been great not having a car payment for the last 8 years.
If you want a basic car that gets you from point A to point B this would be the car.
I am just disapointed that GM discontinued the Saturn.
I will be sad to see my Saturn go when the time comes.

Fairly Reliable Ride That Lasted 13 Yrs
By Kristen

1998 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

Purchased this car new in 9/1997, fully loaded with all the options. For the price, you really can't complain. Gets excellent gas mileage, ABS + Traction control allow the car to handle well in the snow, parts are cheap to replace/repair, and it's a compact, sporty ride. I upgraded the deck and speakers early on (something I highly recommend doing, given the subpar stock unit). Major problems with the car throughout the years related back to the engine - the SL models burn oil like crazy. I've been adding oil every couple of fill ups for at least 6-years. Transmission is going out now at 138K; upgrading to a nicer ride.

Compact, sporty ride. I found it fun to drive. Great gas mileage. Fairly reliable for the price tag. Fits taller people (I'm 6'0) easily with the front bucket seats.

Engine burns oil/revs RPMs in park (what I affectionately call it "trying to drive itself"). Sunroof has been replaced once, and still doesn't work. Cheap construction/parts, but you pay for what you get.

Reliable and Safe!
By sgc

1998 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

Bought the car for 800 as is and only needed a muffler for a sticker. Didn't come with power steering but cause the car only weighed 2,300 lbs I didn't even need P/S! All the parts for it were cheap, plugs and wires cost me 30 bucks at most. Very easy to work on too! lots of room in the engine bay. Had to change the motor (might have over rev it.) Great on gas too! I got 36 MPG@70 mph! IT also handled great with the multi link suspension in the rear makes the back roads fun and with confidence! Sadly it was totaled in a crash but my friend and I walked away unharmed. By far most reliable and safest car out there!

Plastic body panels so it wont rust! great on gas, Ice cold A/C and blistering hot Heat, cheap and easy to fix and Great handling. Also the fold down seats!

Better seats, any long distance drives left my back sore