Used 1997 Saturn S-Series Consumer Reviews - 161 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 Saturn S-Series

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

Saturns seem to age quicker at 60000 mi.
By Stephen K

1997 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

When I purchased this car from a private party at 60,000 miles, it had low mileage for its years and was in pretty great condition for its age. Unfortunately time seems to catch up to Saturns with a vengeance. By 70K miles there were issues with various electrical systems and both the rear power windows and the A/C compressor failed, by 75K miles both rear power windows wouldn't raise anymore, and the engine died at 93500 miles, 2000 miles after the last oil change, because the oil change light didn't come on and the car was running rough. BEWARE of electrical issues on older Saturns!! Other than that, it was a little workhorse...in performance mode (not standard).

Performance/acceleration boost was good in performance mode (HORRIBLE in standard mode). Decent gas mileage. Body durability held up (but not the clearcoat..)

Design with thicker cables/wiring to prevent electrical systems from failing.

Not Bad
By pbolt

1997 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

Bought this car with 130K, now have 139K on it. Bought to save on gas and keep my truck in the garage. It is now my dependable, little work car. Small on the inside for someone 6' or over (I'm 6'4") but I get 33 mpg+ and my truck only gets 18, so I love it. For a plastic car, its not bad but it rattles like a can of spray paint. Put new plugs in when I bought it and the dealership had just replaced the clutch. Other than that, no problems to report. I drive it to see my folks and that is a 6 hour drive. Not a bad car.

Gas mileage, dependability (so far), does not attract much attention, rather NO attention

Less rattles, less plastic

Best car ever owned
By little green sat

1997 Saturn S-Series SW2 4dr Wagon

We had to sell our truck when we found out we were going to be parents. We decided to look for a small car that would be good on gas and most important a reliable car. We took a look at this green saturn wagon and decided it was great so we bought it. It has been the best car we could have imagined. It now has 157,000 miles on it and still runs great. I have had to replace the ECT, crank posistion sensor, and just maintaince stuff which if pretty easy on this car. Even with the AT I get 38+ MPG on the highway, and highway driving is almost all I do. It was really nice when gas was 4 bucks a gallon to have this car. The brakes are the second set and still at 40%. I love it

gas mileage 38-40 MPG, How fun it is to drive, How cheap/easy to work on.

Lots of rattles as she gets older, need more screws in place of the plastic pins. Better seats, I can feel the busted disc in my back on long drives. A quieter ride.

1997 Saturn SL
By paul

1997 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new from Saturn of Albany. These cars have similar problems that go wrong, like coolant temperature sensors/tensioner pulley/burning oil in later years/EGR valve cleaning/ throttle body cleaning/upper motor mount/ etc. These cars are easy to work on and inexpensive to own if you do your homework.. I now have over 180,000 miles on my Saturn and expect it to last another 180,000 miles.

Gas mileage average in the high 30's. I get 36-40mpg. Plastic exterior panels that don't rust. Car looks new still. Ease of maintenance and repair. (OBDII software) most auto parts stores will scan the error codes for free. Comfort and ride- I have a bad back

Use an undercoating on the A-frame to slow rust down- I live in the north east. The A-frame can rust through and cause car failure before the motor wears out.

Piece of junk dont waste your money
By zap101392

1997 Saturn S-Series SC1 2dr Coupe

has 127,000 on it and it has problems weekly my girlfriend has had it in the shop every month since she bought it, Transmission problems, stalls, wont start, speedometer and tach dont read accuratly, radiator leaks, burns a little oil, Headlight plastic discolors over time and makes for a very dim set of headlights. Now about the car it likes to wander on the road sound system stinks ,accelerations is terrible, seats are very very uncomfortable Yet the car was perfectly fine when it was purchased the only good thing about the car is the gas mileage about 27-34 mpg

if you don't mind putting it in the shop all the time then it is good for the gas mileage

Make a better quality car