Used 1996 Saturn S-Series Consumer Reviews - 123 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1996 Saturn S-Series

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

Best Christmas present ever!
By ChickVicious

1996 Saturn S-Series SC2 2dr Coupe

I have never had mechanical problems with this car! It was given to me Christmas of 2002 as my first car with only 36,000 mi. I've driven the heck out of this car and it's on 120,000 mi at this point. Only problem to worry about is the oil, car the burns it like nobody's business. As long as the oil is refilled and changed regularly this car will run for over 200,000 miles without a problem. My friend has a 97 and drove it from New York to Arizona and back without issues and the car has about 230,000 mi on it. Great beginner car, very highly recommended!

Sunroof, easy and fun to drive, no worries this car will start easily in any temperature, plenty of room if you're under 6 ft tall, the interior is beautiful black plush, power everything is nice.

Build the interior slightly tighter, as the car gets older the dash rattles more, engine's a little loud, and of course, the oil gets eaten up so fast it's unbelievable (only when traveling long distances, really); all problems with early Saturns in general, great car otherwise!

I love this car!
By stefaniejl

1996 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for a few months now, and I fell in love with her. Very safe, sturdy, and not at all tinny. The engine is very clean, and the car burns very little oil. Responsive steering and brakes. I will never, ever sell this car.

Never had to do a major repair- replaced backup/brake lights.

Awesome Value
By shaggyismbm

1996 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for $1300 and it was a great deal. It had 175,000 miles on it and it ran like a new car. It handles well, the motor is quick, the trunk is roomy. The only problems I had were the speedometer quit on me a while back (also my odometer) and my alternator went out. I would guess the car has about 250,000 miles on it now. It was a great value. Oh yeah and I hit a deer in it and it didn't even knock out the headlights. I drove off just fine with only a little body damage. Nothing major just a bent up hood. (I wish I could post a picture)

Manual transmission is easy to use. Motor is peppy. Air still works great.

None really. This is an awesome economy car. I guess the color was pretty lame. (mint green)

Fun to drive and economical.
By kb9ygf

1996 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car used with 100,000 miles on it, after meeting several other S-car owners. After driving it for an additional 80,000 miles, I find my experience parallels theirs. If you read the owners manual and follow the maintenance schedule, the car will deliver. My car is eleven years old, uses a quart of oil every 3000 miles( normal change interval for me) and runs and looks great. The key is routine care.

Handles as well as my VW GTI, gets remarkable mileage. Starts the first time, every time, regardless of weather. Is easy to maintain.

Better interior.

215,000 and still going
By Jay

1996 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

We put lots of miles on our cars and we love our Saturn. We're looking for another SL as our daughter is getting ready to head off to college soon. Always starts and gets great gas mileage 33 mpg in the city!

Safety - our oldest daughter rolled it with our other daughter inside. Both walked away with no injuries! In fact, we rolled the car back over and drove it home! Try doing that with a Toyota!

Build SLS again