Used 1993 Saturn S-Series Consumer Reviews - 75 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1993 Saturn S-Series

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

The American Toyota By GM
By A. valdes

1993 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

Exceptional vehicle, ahead of his time in design, reliability, parts costs, ease to work etc.

Fuel economy

Cup holders

New Saturn
By Redding

1993 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

Wife bought this car for me when we needed a good around city commuter because '85 Ford Escort wagon was not cutting it anymore. Maybe just saying this after owning 2 cars pre 1985, but the car sounded smooth, felt smooth, with no major mechanicals, no funny noises like most used cars, and clean, like many here say, the car looks almost brand new. Performance is great, push button to perform and car will launch. After 2 2000 Kia's this car is comparable to them in mechanics and performance and they are almost 10 years newer. Have seen warnings on coolant system and oil and with 130,000. Expected to see something like that. But no problems have developed. Good solid fun

Traction control, 4 wheel abs disk brakes, inline 4 good for 30+ mpg, exterior design is sharp for a 93 with curves and shark nose and blue/green color. Interior is beyond its time with modern looking gauges and instrumentation, and the 1.9L 4 cyl provides a respectable purr when turning 3000+ rpm.

A passenger side air bag maybe? Will drive and appraise.

Don't but this car
By John De Groot

1993 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

This was a horrible purchase. It was a lemon from year one. Engine rebuild at 10,000. Again at 20,000. I traded it in before the warranty ran out because it wasn't reliable. The transmission would sieze going from reverse to first. I had parking garages that would not accept my car in downtown San Francisco. It was that bad. And Saturn wouldn't own up to. Not a bit, nadda, nothing. I can never recommend a Saturn or GM car after having owned this one.

Absolutely none.

Saturn, stand behind your cars. Don't do to me what you did to others.

An old, punishing economy car
By Saturnine

1993 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

I got this car from my grandparents. It's the cheapest model, with a mere 85 hp. I have to say, this car is a perfect example of how mean old economy cars were. It's extremely slow, so slow that I actually feel unsafe in traffic because I can't accelerate quickly in a pinch. It requires a huge amount of gas to shift gears without shaking. It leaks oil (though it doesn't seem to burn it). Fuel economy is around 30 mpg overall, but I'd expect more given how underpowered this car is. The turning radius is very wide at around 38 feet, and power steering doesn't help one bit. At 143k miles, the car feels much older than many higher mileage cars I've owned in the past. The car feels old. Even at just 143k, it is on its last legs. There aren't any big problems, but many small ones.

Exterior styling isn't too old or boxy. Plastic body panels don't rust. A few basic amenities that my older and even more stripped-down Corolla didn't have - power steering, a trunk light, an airbag, intermittent wipers, and cruise control. No major reliability problems.

Too much gas required to shift, extremely sluggish acceleration, so-so fuel economy given lack of power, huge turning radius, leaks oil, overall fit and finish is very, very poor.

220k miles
By Aaron

1993 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I bought this car my sophomore year in high school and it lasted until my sophomore year in college. I've traveled to school and back (Nebraska - Michigan) several times. I put 100k miles on it with little problems. Unfortunately that's all I got out of it, but I'm purchasing the same car to replace it.

Gas mileage. reliability