Used 2002 Saturn L-Series Consumer Reviews - 128 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Saturn L-Series

View reviews for a specific L-Series model:

Such a wonderful car!
By bmccune

2002 Saturn L-Series L100 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

This was actually a car that my mother had bought new in 2002 because of the low interest rates after 9/11. The car was great! Never had any problems with it till one day it just wouldnt start. Almost had to have it towed until her friends dad pointed out the gunked up battery cables. That sure was the issue because after he cleaned them it started right up.(after being charged up a bit) She had this car until around 100k and that was only because she said that Saturn wanted to much for a tune up. My only complaint is that after getting rid of it we would still reach down to the area around the shifter in her Honda to roll down the windows which was quite funny.

Everything was wonderful. I loved the look of it. Very sporty but yet practical for the more budget conscience of folks. Would love to own one myself but at the moment I cant even afford a used 2002. Was very sad to see that car being traded in.

None at all. Well maybe the placement of the window controls but we quickly adjusted to that.

LOVE my L300 and would buy another one of equal quality if I could.
By leslie26

2002 Saturn L-Series L300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2002 L300 new from a Saturn dealer in 2001.
Just turned 200,000 miles and still going very Strong!
It hardly burns any oil at all.
I'll be so sad to see this car go (when the time comes).
There was an issue with a fuel sensor which occurred after Saturn was shut down and it took about 5 months to get the part that I needed.
This was the only Major issue that I've had with the car.

Based on other reviews, it looks like I got pretty lucky with my L300.
I did follow the maintenance schedule so I have to think that helped a bit in getting the car to over 200,000 miles.
I'll keep driving it until it dies.

Reliability of the car is my favorite overall feature. My L300 has all of the bells and whistles, but I'd have to say that its responsiveness and power is what I really enjoy most about the car.

Quieter ride would be nice. Too much noise comes in through windows/doors.

Frustrating!
By Amanda

2002 Saturn L-Series L200 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this new because of the 0% financing deal and at the time Saturn Service had a good reputation. The car now has 120,000 miles on it and I have replaced the computer in the car twice, A/C had to be recharged for the last 3 summers, gas tank cracked and had to be replaced, clutch went out, loud rumble in the back, dash bulb lights, etc. I would NOT recommend this car to anyone and would not recommend Saturn at all. The service department used to be wonderful - now the service is TERRIBLE.

Weird placement for window controls - they are by the gear shift.

Saturn L200 2002 5M
By apc

2002 Saturn L-Series L200 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Car ran great for the 30,000 miles I put on it. Just recently however the timing chain jumped, common with these l-models, and the valves/pistons/connecting rods were compromised. Engine will need to be replaced estimated at $2,400, through a friend of the family, while the car is only blue booked at $2,600. My brother has the same car, one year older, so I will keep the car for parts for him. He has also seen $2,500 in repairs for his vehicle. It seems like this vehicle is great up to 90K.

Good gas, manual transmission

Build the engine with clearance

LW300
By pew

2002 Saturn L-Series LW300 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car with 42500 miles. It has plenty of room front, back and with rear seat folded down. Highway driving is very smooth but driving over rough pavement on city streets can be a bit rough. The car has a generous amount of power for a small V-6 and the gas mileage is not bad (24 combined) with easy starts and stops. Definitely a reasonable alternative to a large suv and much more nimble.

heated leather seats, cargo capacity with rear seats folded.