Used 2002 Saturn L-Series Consumer Reviews - 128 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Saturn L-Series

View reviews for a specific L-Series model:

My 2nd review/entry - this may very well be the best car ever!
By leslie26

2002 Saturn L-Series L300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

See prior review that I posted, but the 2002 L300 is still going strong at 270,000 miles (original engine/transmission)!!! I bought the car in October 2001 (when my son was just 5 years old), and now my son is driving the car. :)
We just bought a 1999 SC1 for our daughter who will need a car soon. Only 67,000 original miles. Hope we have as much luck with that Saturn.
The 2002 L300 is the best car I've ever owned, and we certainly got our money out of it!

My first car, everything & then some.
By jamesghee

2002 Saturn L-Series L300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The '02 Saturn L300 was my first car. I didn't know much about cars, but I would soon learn. It being 10 years old (Got it in 2012), it obviously needed some work done. The 3.0L V6 provided excellent pick up on demand, and gas mileage was pretty decent. The leather seats were in great condition, and the interior design was pretty decent for a 10 year old car. I'm about 6'0 ft tall, and cabinet room was excellent. The car has great visibility, and drivability is through the roof. I would definitely buy this car again.

-3.0L V6 -Heated Leather seats (Driver, Front passenger) -Excellent Visibility -Minimal Torque Steer (For a 10yr old car) -Body Design -Basic, yet functional odometer meters -Perfect body length for a mid-size sedan -Color Combination (Silver Exterior, Black Interior)

-Noise cancellation technologies (Road noise, etc.) -More reliable and stable struts, suspension components, etc. -More soft touch features (No leather wrapped steering wheel, gear shifter, dashboard, etc.)

My first car
By rinyotsu

2002 Saturn L-Series L200 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I Love this car! I first got it in Nov, 2008, senior year of high school. I originally drove like a granny driver, slow to keep my mileage up even though I lived less than a mile from school and didn't really leave town until I started college.
The original engine had succumb to the timing chain issue so we had a new one put in.
The new engine, at first, had horrible compression and I'm surprised the car made the 60+ mile trip home, then another 20 miles to a friend's to get the compression test. This car appeared to not want to give up on me since I didn't give up on it. A can of restore with a full synthetic oil change and spark plugs and she's running better than many cars on the road.

I love the fuel economy I can get, I've gotten between 24-29mpg even with a bit of a heavy foot. I also love the stance. With good tires on it, I can take a 35mph turn in the rain at 40-45 without even getting close to slipping, not that I recommend trying. Even with bald tires I was able to make a 60 mile trip in freezing rain without getting into an accident. The car slid a bit, but was predictable enough to recover easy. I even love how easy most of the repairs are. As an amateur driveway mechanic, I've replaced most of the front suspension parts except the struts (which are still original at 170k and feel ok to me) myself with a drill and a bunch of wrenches and ratchets.

I see a lot of reviews complaining about the style, but I like it. It doesn't strike you as a car someone would race in and mine looks a little more luxurious with a little chrome edging on the back of the hood and lining the sides of the trunk. I replaced the stock wheel covers with 5 spokes ones from walmart and it gave it a younger look. The only improvement I can think of is a simplified intake system. But even then, there are tutorials on Saturnfans forum to derestrict the airbox and increase throttle response.

Low quality, low price
By olderage

2002 Saturn L-Series L200 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The L-Series is like all Saturns: unreliable. Before I bought it, my example had a broken timing chain and damaged engine at 89k (common!). Soon thereafter the fuel pump failed ($1k parts and labor; common). Now, at just over 100k, the turn signals are working intermittently (hazard light switch; common), and there is a severe judder when launching in first gear--especially in the cold. I'm sure that will be cheap to fix! I bought this car to live debt free, and for that I am grateful for the low purchase price. If the maintenance doesn't increase, then I'll feel wise. It is a smooth riding, comfortable car, and the composite body panels hide rust well.

Heated seats, traction control, and large trunk are nice touches. Fuel economy is quite good and I average 23 in the city and 28 on the highway.

Improvements are irrelevant for an orphaned car company.

I would buy one again if they were still made
By sarahecuff

2002 Saturn L-Series L200 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

This was the first car that I purchased by myself when I was 22, it was a year old and had 22,000 miles on it. Right now it has 129,000 and it is still running like a newer car. It has never needed any major repairs other than routine maintenance. My only gripe is that the AC died at around 60,000 and I never had it repaired because it needs a compressor and I never had the extra money to fix it. I had to replace all 4 calipers at about 80,000 but I have a lead foot so maybe this was the reason. Right now the CD player no longer works but I can't really complain, it has lived its life. Just a great reliable car to get you from point A to point B.