Used 2005 Saturn ION Consumer Reviews - 159 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Saturn ION

View reviews for a specific ION model:

not a happy camper
By Samantha

2005 Saturn ION 3 4dr Quad Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

i bought this ion from a friend, in which i just bought it before winter came, had the car not start for me. called the dealership and they were very helpful, replaced the ignition switch. all seemed fine and dandy, due to the nice weather showed up again. march/April of this year, i installed command start, guess what, got cold out car would not start. u buy a command start for this purpose or am i not correct on that lol. they replaced the bcm *body control module* and so far so good, hasn't stranded me yet. i live in Saskatchewan Canada, so ya, we go from plus 30 to minus 10 in 24 hrs.

the dash, its not right in front of my face, and the distraction is not there, speakers are pretty good, can get a lot of bass out of them. lots of truck space, small but bigger car.

the anti theft, get rid of it, or find out a way to by pass the whole stupid system so that it doesn't strand anyone else, especially if u have an emergency at hand. what is the point of it anyways? if someone steals ur radio, ur car wont start, where does that help the owner?

Not Bad, Not Great..
By HeadAche

2005 Saturn ION 3 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car in the summer of 05, has been a really fun and good reliable car to drive until the winter of 07. Seemed like the whole car was falling apart at only 15,000 miles! Strut mounts went, but on most low end cars like the ion they go almost every year, but I got the extended warranty which covered it, or so I thought unit Saturn said that it would cost me 400 to replace the strut mount. Also the same year the car misfired and was running on 3 cylinders, cool though the ion sounded like a Subaru sti when I drove it. More to this whole thing which I cant fit in here so I just have to say Saturn has the worst customer service I have ever encountered. Getting rid of this car soon.

Gas Mileage, Standard is fun to drive (car gets up and goes), Handles fairly well in most conditions, fun car to drive for the average person, its no super car and certainly wont turn heads, well maybe but wont get the best compliments. Gauges are easy to see. Car is sporty.

Saturn should build cars that last and also make their customers proud that they own a Saturn but it doesn't look like that would be happening anytime soon. GM shouldn't have gotten rid of Pontiac but they should have got rid of Saturn. Would have been a better choice on their part.

I hate this car.
By Danielle

2005 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This was my very first car. The first month of driving it I loved it! But then things started going wrong. The waterproofing on the drivers side window wore down so it was extremely loud driving and water would leak in when it rained. At the same time the steering column collapsed. There is something always rattling in the back of my car and it comes loose and I have to shove it back in to place. When i have the air on, there is a buzzing noise coming from the passenger side. It seems like there is always something rattling. The seats are extremely uncomfortable and hot. It is not a very smooth ride. I am getting a new car as soon as possible. Exterior and interior are also very cheap.

Gas mileage. That is it.

Rebuild the entire car. Or just don't make anymore.

very few problems- and they aren't big!
By Pretty Happy!

2005 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My ION has been great since the first day I drove off the lot 4 years ago. The gas mileage is great for my typical driving day, and the maintenance has been minimal- basic upkeep and tune-ups. This week was the first time I had any "problems". A few sensors had malfunctioned, causing the check engine light to turn on. I have had issues with it not letting me pull the key out from time to time, mentioned it to the service manager, and they have fixed it. Something was mis-aligned in the ignition housing. I am happy with my choice, and would be purchasing a new saturn if they still had the ION.

Gas Mileage, centered console (LOVE IT), sound system, BIG trunk, decent amount of space inside the car for passengers

bring back the model!!! I don't want a hatchback!

Will buy again !
By Phil

2005 Saturn ION 1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I haven't had any problems with this car since I bought it new. I get 28 mpg in the city and 34 mpg on the freeway at 75 to 80 mph. Its real easy to change the oil and filter. In the winter this car really handles the snow, up to 10 inches no problem. Has lots of power for a small car, stomp on it from a dead start and it will break the tires loose.

Power, easy to change oil, gas mileage, trunk space, seats higher than SL-1.

Put the Sky body on it and sell it for this price.