Used 2005 Saturn ION 2 Consumer Reviews - 23 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Saturn ION

View reviews for a specific ION model:

Warm weather only!
By Catt

2005 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Aside from the plastic construction, & non-ergonomic interior, I can only recommend this car to be owned in warm climates. From my experience, once the temps fall to freezing, the anti-theft system in the steering column freezes, the engine is incapacitate & you are stranded. I have to carry a small electric heater & a very long extension cord with me & insure I park near an outside outlet. Getting rid of it as soon as possible, & I will never buy another. Saturn denies there is any problem with the anti-theft & will not remove it.

CD player & key chain

Redesign interior & get rid of anti- theft crap.

Pathetic Car
By SamT

2005 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I had to get rid of my ION at 48,000 miles due to it needing more in repairs than the car was worth. At 48,000 miles, my transmission died due to a factory defect. SInce my car was out of warranty, Saturn wouldn't fix it for free. In addition to my blown transmission, I also needed a whole new valve body. The cost of the transmission and valve body was more than the car was worth. I'm not a car expert but I know enough to know that cars shouldn't be done for before they reach 50,000 miles. My ION had other problems too, such as a faulty ignition starter that wouldn't always let me remove the key. Saturn wouldn't fix the problem or admit there was one. Terrible car, terrible company. Beware!

The car was fun to drive, handled well, and was attractive.

I suggest Saturn makes a car that can withstand 50,000+ miles of regular driving conditions before it needs thousands of dollars in repairs.

I will never buy another Saturn
By michelle315

2005 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have had nothing but problems with this car. I bought it new and have owned it for three years now. It has had three transmissions replaced. The first two were in the first year of ownership. It recently had the bushings replaced in the front control arm. I picked it up from the dealer, drove it less than 30 miles, when the control arm came loose and fell onto the rim of my tire. The mechanic did not tighten the pinch bolt after servicing. I am glad I was only traveling about 30MPH or I would have had a major accident, loosing all control of the steering. It felt like the whole bottom of my car hit the pavement!! I can't wait to trade this piece in, and will never buy another Saturn again

I can't find any. This car has been a nightmare since day one!

Everything. Now I know why they don't make these cars anymore. They give GM a bad name!

Worst car ever owned
By von

2005 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have had more problems with this car than any other. It has been in the shop too many times to count. I now could swim inside my car it's leaking soo bad, yet Saturn is telling me it's not there problem. This problem, along with many others that I'm having with the vehicle are listed on what I'm being told is recalls. Saturn of course is telling me there is no recalls. 2005 was the worst year they had with this vehicle so I find it hard to believe there is no recalls. I have many other problems but too many to list. I have owned a Saturn in the past and loved it which is why I bought another one, but I will never buy one again.

CD player

Everything

BAD PLASTIC CAR!
By cs15

2005 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Saturn ION Level 2 a little over a year ago, and about 6 months after owning it, every time I turned around, something else was going wrong with it. The engine bucking, clicking noises when driving, road noise, crappy cd/radio, doors unable to shut after being opened, broken hood latch...did I mention EVERYTHING in this car seems to be made of plastic except for the engine? I will NEVER buy another Saturn again.

Interior dashboard & gas mileage.

EVERYTHING!