Used 2005 Saturn ION Consumer Reviews - 159 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Saturn ION

View reviews for a specific ION model:

Unhappy with Saturns 2005 ION3
By tialynn510

2005 Saturn ION 3 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Don't buy a Satrun unless you want to spend a lot of time at the dealership. Within the first month I had it in for service on the cruise control, it didn't work at all. I had to have the cd player replaced twice because they ate my cds which they did not bother to replace. The front turn signal bulbs keep blowing out I have had to replace them both twice. While I understand that these are not major isuues they are thing that you have to take time out of your day to take care of. They want you to drive clear across town so they can fix it when and if they have an opening for you, and god forbid you have somewhere to be like work you have to demand a rental car. Which is a total joke.

My favorite feature is the security passlock so your car doesn't get stolen. Except mine didn't work right and I got stranded 50 miles from home. My car wouldn't start at all, I guess it thought it was being stolen!!!

If you know something is wrong fix it before you sell the hunk of junk to people. Or at least tell your service people to pretend that they dont know what is going on with the car, instead of telling you that it is common like they did me.

Fast and fun
By tim

2005 Saturn ION Red Line 4dr Quad Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

I love this car. It is not only fun to drive, but it is a pratical car. The gas mileage isn't the best, but it is also not the worst. I would definitly buy this car again in the future.

My favorite feature is how quick it is. I love that it is a Saturn, because people don't think of Saturn's as fast cars, but when you are seconds ahead of them they think twice about trying to race one again.

I wish they could improve on the gas mileage. That is my real problem with this car. They said that it gets 24 mpg in the city and 29 on the highway, but that is way off. I drive mostly the city and some highway, and I am usually get about 18-20 mpg.

WOW...what a pleasant surprise!!!
By Drum

2005 Saturn ION Red Line 4dr Quad Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

I love this car!! I've owned several sports cars and sports coupes and I immediately felt very comfortable in this car. It is a lot quicker than you would expect given the (under)stated horsepower and weight. A little cheap feeling in the interior, but hey, the price more than makes up for it. Hard to imagine a better performing car in this price range, even compares quite well to more expensive cars like the RX-8 (what I originally planned on).

Acceleration, seats, rear wing, delayed power off and auto lock/unlock doors, xm radio (NO COMMERCIALS!), sound of the supercharger, smooth short throw shifter, quad doors

Auto dimming compass temp mirror and boost gauge should be available as dealer installed accesories

Could not be much better for the money.
By Skylar Mazzola

2005 Saturn ION Red Line 4dr Quad Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

I love the car. The car is fast. The seats are wonderful and the engine is pretty much a work of art. The only thing that I can complain about is the rev limiter stops the fun. Also the tach is about 500-800 revs behind the engine which hurts performance. Other than that I love it.

The seats. Agressive, yet passive styling. The engine, the perfect suspension, and the limited slip differential is great. Boost guage!

Another tach, more power, weight reduction. Not to say that it is slow, it is not, but you cant have to much hp.

Poorly Designed, Mechanically Defective
By amarri

2005 Saturn ION Red Line 4dr Quad Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

I have had nothing but trouble with this vehicle: 4 tow-in and 2 drive-in service calls. Check Engine light glowing steadily, fuel gauge registering zero, rough engine idle (car struggles to remain running), loss of power when operating A/C (A/C fan and headlights dimming), annoyingly squeaking seats, water leaks, and dangerously faulty gearshift knob that breaks off in hand when using. Cheap interior materials and poor instrument cluster visibility. Poor rear-view mirror visibility: many blind spots.

Aesthestically appealing looks. Fun to shift when operating at all.