Used 2008 Saturn Astra Consumer Reviews - 139 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Saturn Astra

View reviews for a specific Astra model:

Unknown gem
By astracan

2008 Saturn Astra XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I was looking for an affordable well designed, well made, sophisticated, fun-to-drive SMALL car that got over 30mpg and didn't feel like a Fisher Price toy inside. Amazing how rare that was a couple of years ago. It has mostly fulfilled that expectation. (too bad Saturn went out of business 2 months after I bought it). Every drive feels like an event. This is as much about the overall quality of the interior (design, precise assembly & materials: I have leather), well weighted controls, beautifully damped ride and refinement of response than outright power. Actually the car has plenty of power, it just lacks torque below 1500 rpm, so it feels a bit dead until you learn to drive around that.

Fun to drive, ride and road-holding, economy (ca. 31mpg), 6 CD stereo, gearshift (5spd), sculpted exterior, quality of assembly, thorough design (e.g. large glove compartment, good headlights/wipers, ESC, heated seats, tidy under-hood), overall character, rarity, cost thousands less than "competitors"

Really needs 6th gr/higher final drive ratio (ca 73 mph indic. = 3,500 rpm); can be hard to find comfortable driving position, as seat doesn't go back far enough/is too low (seats themselves are v. comfortable); steering, tho direct & precise, lacks feedback below 45 mph; delicate paintwork

Review2
By Hoagie

2008 Saturn Astra XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I originally reviewed this car in Jan., a week after purchase. With now over 16k miles on it, I am very pleased with my purchase. I get 30 mpg (city/hwy mix) consistently. I never really get fatigued in the drivers seat. The tight handling has saved my rear end more than once around crazy city drivers. I only wish it had another gear and another 20-30 horsepower. I have had a few minor issues that the dealer has fixed under warranty, but no deal breakers.

Ride, handling, comfort.

A little more power and a 6th gear in the manual to keep gas mileage the same, or even improve it.

Overall good car
By Wayne

2008 Saturn Astra XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

There are definitely some pros and cons to this car. On the plus side, I've never had mechanical problems, it has a great sunroof and very responsive steering. It's a reasonably comfortable ride although you might find it a little cramped. On the downside, lack of engine power. I don't think this thing could outrun a slushie truck going up a hill. The cupholders where you have to dislocate your arm to get your drink, the very tiny side mirrors, and the paint job wore off after only a few months. Now of course we also have to deal with lack of service, as there are only 2 dealers in my city who are authorized to work on Saturns.

sunroof, great steering, heated seats, comfortable ride

More powerfull engine, better placement of cupholders, bigger mirrors, more interior legroom, more GM dealers willing to honour the warranty.

Good enough to pass on to son
By bjie

2008 Saturn Astra XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This Opel reminds me of the VWs I have driven. Small but feels bigger on the road. Not a comfy couch to put you asleep on the road, specially on not- too-straight roads. (I believe the .84 g specs reported.) If gas prices spike up again, the 30mph average (90+% hwy) should soften the blow to my wallet. Had a turn signal relay replaced on warranty but no other issues. I am confident my son will keep this car when I hand it over to him in a couple of years.

driver info, very accurate. Summer performance tires grip!

design could have been better for driver storage spaces including cupholders.

Saturn Astra 4dr Great Car
By Judicious

2008 Saturn Astra XE 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

So far I have had the car for 2 years. It works great. No major issues yet. Fuel mileage is good could be better in the city but very nice on the highway. Car feels great while cornering. Suspension is not too soft but yet handles bumps well. The best hatchback GM ever sold in north America and wish they kept bringing them over.

design inside and out. sunroof is awesome. great feeling car to drive.

more powerful engine would have been great. cup holders in the front would be nice. mp3 jack on radio as well.