Used 2008 Saturn Astra Consumer Reviews - 141 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Saturn Astra

View reviews for a specific Astra model:

A lot of car for the money
By Dick

2008 Saturn Astra XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have been driving for 64 years and most of my cars have been manuals. I wanted a manual but the shifters were stiffer and less accurate than my previous manuals cars so I decided on an automatic and I haven't been disappointed. Another car that I still drive has a turbo which is very quick but my Astra gives me more than enough pickup for urban traffic.

I can't think of any extra feature that I would want that the Astra hatchback doesn't include, except convenient cup holders However I have never had a car with so many standard features.

Will GM get the Astra message?
By Mark B

2008 Saturn Astra XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The Astra is the second best selling car in Europe. Owner reviews on Edmunds and Yahoo are 95% favorable and gushing with favorable comments on this little gem. Yet, GM and Saturn hardly advertise it. Makes you wonder why our USA-based automotive companies have a problem selling cars. This car will blow Corolla, Civic and other imports out of the market if GM handles it right. Tweak it to get better mileage (28/36), add some engine options, add overdrive, add a auxiliary audio input port, etc. and it will sell (Build it and they will come....remember that GM?). I am from Detroit and want our Detroit-based auto companies to succeed big time. Listen to the consumer and build the Astra!

After only 2500 miles of driving - Exterior styling is great, love the overall cockpit design, handles like a BMW, great cargo space, the exterior fit is amazingly clean, the "snow" drive feature in the automatic, once you get used to the controls - they make sense, nice ride!

Overdrive for better fuel economy, Ipod port, sunscreen glass option, engines options (more HP), auto-stick option, make it compatible with OBDII scanners, add an engine temperature guage to the instruments, option for 12-hour clock setting.

A great all-around car
By hiker

2008 Saturn Astra XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Great handling, great mpg (30-32 in everyday driving). Good enough go, but get the manual transmission. Perfect for 2 people, 3 dogs, a week of luggage, and 2 bikes (hitch mount). The only cars that I considered in the same class were the Audi A3 and the VW GTI. The Astra (with the sport suspension) has it all except for the horsepower - all else is perfect, and at a great price! A good compromise of performance, fun, functionality, and economy.

Handling, economy, functionality, fun. sunroof, manual trans, and premium audio.

Why aren't more of these on the road?
By Kiyo

2008 Saturn Astra XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The lease on my Toyota Corolla was coming up in a few months and I started test driving Eco / Compact cars in the $14k to 22k price range. I drove the following; Honda Fit / Civic, Toyota Matrix / Yaris, VW Rabbit, Mazda 3 and Scion xD before coming across this little gem. I was leery at first because of the GM label but after a test drive this car beat out all the others I had driven in its class and quickly shot to the number one on my list. It's gas economy and surprising fit and feel are only out done by it's amazingly fun sporty drive and sexy European look. I honestly have no idea why there aren't way more of these on the road than the hand full I've seen.

Sport tuning / suspension. Sleek European style. Standard tilt / scope steering. Standard rims. Huge cargo space (seats down, 2nd best in it's class). Best handling in its class (from what I test drove)

Key hole is a little close to the steering wheel at a mildly annoying angle. Skirt and ground kit options (I've seen the ones in Europe, I want!) Control layout and button system ease of use improved. More powerful engine option. 6 speed manual option

Nice Car
By Wahoo

2008 Saturn Astra XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in late December for $14,500 out the door! Having owned a Civic EX previously, I am having some difficulty getting used to the tight suspension, stiff ride, rigid seating, and excellent acceleration. The instrument displays are a bit confusing but are really nicely arranged and detailed. The car has so many more features than new Civics for a lot less money and seems much better built. Having never owned a GM product, I am shocked by the quality of this car.

Suspension (and ride), acceleration (I have the 5 speed), control center, gadgets (heated seats, fuel consumption calculator, cruise, hatchback versatility, smooth clutch, build quality (it sounds solid when you slam the doors). Mileage is 31-33 so far in mixed city/highway driving.

IPOD port