Used 2008 Saturn Astra Consumer Reviews - 141 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Saturn Astra

View reviews for a specific Astra model:

More Fun han Any Other Compact
By Don

2008 Saturn Astra XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The last time I had this much fun was driving my 1975 Opel Manta (imported by Buick), and the Astra (another Opel) handles even better. Previously I drove a VW Golf which my Astra with sports suspension beats hands down. It's no wonder the Astra sales have been neck and neck with Golfs in Europe for 5 years. The solid fit and finish, and classy interior rival my co-worker's BMW 5 series. It's quieter than any of the various midsize cars I've rented on trips (I can actually hear the nuances of a jazz CD at 70 mph). And what's more practical than a small hatchback? Once you read the quicky instructions, the computer controls are a snap. The best small car GM has sold.

Secure handling with stability and traction control, good driver vision in all directions, excellent fit and finish, top-level interior and exterior styling, quiet cabin for a car its size, rain sense wipers, auto headlights, hi-fi audio in XR, flatfolding seats for hatchback flexibilty, good mpg.

An overdrive on the auto transmission might boost the highway mpg even more.

Great fun car
By Bryan

2008 Saturn Astra XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Love it sporty and very different not many on road so make poeple ask what is it.

wheels and seats also 5 speed

engine noise

Fine European Car Sold as a Saturn
By Jim

2008 Saturn Astra XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I am 6'2", and many small cars won't work. This one does. I have all options on this car, including the sport package. The handling is excellent, and the steering is very quick. The mileage is about what the EPA estimates, although it falls off at speeds around 70 mph or higher. I am a fan of European cars, and this fills the bill without costing an arm and a leg (I have owned 3 Volvos, a Mercedes and a BMW).

Tight ride, large enough for a tall person, almost luxurious (Why can't Americans build a small luxury car that isn't too heavy or powerful?) Good daily driver, with room for four adults. A perfect car for me.

Gearing is toward the low end. I would allow a little higher speed at each rpm level. The mpg is OK, but could be a little better. The entertainment/computer center does almost everything, but it takes a while to figure out. The quick start manual is 18 pages long.

My First Car
By Patrice

2008 Saturn Astra XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My Saturn Astra is my first car and I'm extremely happy with it. I like the European look and that the 3 door model isn't as popular as other cars in its class yet. I got an amazing deal on it because the dealership was cleaning out all the '08's. I saved about $7000 and got my windows tinted for half price. Other cars I was considering were Pontiac G5, Mazda 3, Honda Civic, Hyundai Accent and Ford Focus.

Handling. Fuel economy. Switchblade key. Standard rims. OnStar. Telescopic steering wheel and many seat adjustments. Winter driving mode. Auto lights and sensor wipers. Fog lights

More HP. Ipod Auxilary. Sunroof option on 3 dr.

Nice Astra!
By B-Dog

2008 Saturn Astra XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

In one weeek, I've put over 1,500 miles on my Astra XR 3-Door, and I've enjoyed every single one of them. I traded in a 2005 Saab 9-3 Sedan, and I like this car even better (and I loved my Saab). My car had 3,500 miles on it when I purchased, and though not perfect, it's very close. It's very solid, handles beautifully, feels quicker than the numbers say, and looks hot (esp. in Salsa Red)! The manual transmission and clutch work very well, the steering wheel controls are very useful and not THAT hard to figure out (they give you a book for 'em - read it!!), the seats are terrific on long trips, and the brakes are great! My 30 MPG combined average doesn't hurt either.

Overall solidity, heated leather seats with serious bolsters, steering wheel controls for the radio and trip computer, handling and braking. Also, the OnStar w/ turn-by-turn navigation works as well as my Garmin system. The Salsa Red Paint makes me look at it longingly when I'm not driving.

More power would be nice if it did not sacrifice fuel efficiency. Also, an aux or USB input for the stereo system and bluetooth capability would be great. While they're at it, another 12v power outlet would really be useful, as would "factory" XM radio. So would a temperature gauge.