Used 2008 Saturn Astra Consumer Reviews - 141 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Saturn Astra

View reviews for a specific Astra model:

Fun to drive, great mileage
By Alfetta

2008 Saturn Astra XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I first started looking at the Astas before all the GM incentives. I really liked the car for its nice styling, outstanding build quality, and good performance. I just thought the price was a little too high comapared the the VW Rabbit. The incentives made me take a second look, and I am glad I did. Although the HP ratings are lower, the power is spread out over the rpm range and doesn't feel slow at all. Brakes are powerful, and very stable handling on all surface types. It is evident that the car is built by Opel in Europe as the fit and finish is better than my wifes Mexican assembled Saturn Vue. In the past few years I have owned MB C 230, and Audi A3. The Astra is my favorite so far.

Styling, Handling, Seating Comfort, Handling, Braking. OnStar turn by turn is also nice feature. 32 mpg hwy, 28 city :)

I would like to see the diesel from that is used in Europe, as the high torque would be a nice improvement in performance- No auxillary input.

Very happy Saturn owner
By loose

2008 Saturn Astra XE 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Went to Bike Week 09 dragging my bike behind my 07 stick Fit sport, really liked that car. Was not looking for a new car, but they redid the Fit for 09 and I thought about a new one. While in FL, I noticed the Saturn Astra 5 door. Had to go and check it out. The car is great. Had to stay in FL for 3 extra days waiting for my trailer hitch. Was the best ride home to Scranton I ever had.

Sunroof(had to have it), manual trans, auto wipers, auto lights, etc, etc. Solid car.

The usual, IPOD jack, cupholders, another gear.

Great little car
By Virginia

2008 Saturn Astra XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

So far I love my Astra! Its comfortable, sporty, gets great gas mileage, and all around fun to drive. I only have one minor complaint, and that is the temperature control dials are kind of hard to read on the fly, but other than that, its been the perfect car. I love the sun roof, love the heated seats, love the handling, and love the look. My family was very skeptical about me buying this car, but even they seem very pleased after seeing it in action. Its definitely a step above the Fit I tried. More bells and whistles, and much better handling. For the money I don't think it can be beat!

Sun roof Handling Gas mileage Price

The dials on the temp control and the radio are a little more complicated than I would prefer, but its manageable.

Loves It!
By Sara

2008 Saturn Astra XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Astra! I replaced my '92 Honda Civic with the Astra and I am very pleased with my decision. It is extremely fun to drive and the handling is responsive. I enjoy the speed-proportional steering; I find that it makes driving in the city effortless. The ride on the highway is smooth. The brakes are great. The acceleration is more than I expected. It really has some get up and go! This car feels very solid and well-made.

The interior appears really well made and I love the look of the console and dashboard. The stereo is excellent and sounds great! The glove compartment is huge! The 17" alloy wheels are my favorite features; they make it look sportier. I also love the hatchback and it has a lot of space.

I wish that it had an auxillary input jack for the stereo.

My Astra-A Great Decision
By jaxjack92

2008 Saturn Astra XE 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Easiest handling,most comfortable, best fuel economy of the 5 Saturns I have bought or leased.

self-adjusting windshield wipers & the ease with which the Astra takes turns.