Used 1998 Saab 900 Consumer Reviews - 36 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 900 model:

Mine has been great
By joec

1998 Saab 900 SE Turbo 2dr Convertible

I've owned my 900 SE Turbo Conv for 7 years now and have loved every minute of it. Perhaps I've been lucky as I've experienced next to none of the quirky problems that other Saab owners appear to have. Other than routine maintenance, the only thing thats gone wrong was the top motor. At 10 years old I think that is certainly reasonable. I'm thinking seriously of replacing it with a new one, but with only 91K on it to date, it doesn't make much economic sense for me at the moment.

The color - blood red is great, and of course, the drop top. And with the get up and go the turbo provides (even with the rather annoying lag) the gas mileage is surprisingly good.

The turbo lag has always been my one and only complaint. And I do get loss of pixels on dash that seem to come and go.

Too Expensive
By partjet

1998 Saab 900 SE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I bought this car with 120,000 miles and I realize its not a new car but have had to replace a lot of parts. I have spent almost as much money to fix the car than what I bought it for and it still needs work. Its certainly a nice car but what a headache.

I like the turbo when it doesn't hesitate on acceleration.

There are no cup holders in this car. As expensive as it was new, I'm shocked there are no cup holders. And to buy one costs $50. each... Ridiculous!

Flawless Mix of Luxury and Performance
By A New Saab Lover

1998 Saab 900 SE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

Yes, the car's turbo system has an extremely minor lag, but other than that the car is such a wonderful vehicle. It's an energetic little car that makes shifting lanes, speeding, and handling supreme to any other in its class. I absolutely love my little Saab hatchback. The trunk space, the features, the size, everything is perfect.

Black panel: it makes every other gauge and middle panel button and light go black. The only one that stays illuminated is the MPH gauge, good for eliminating distraction, not to mention it looks good at night.

Turbo-lag, speaker system.

Good Car but expensive to maintain
By Harold Pardo

1998 Saab 900 S 2dr Convertible

I have had this car for over 2 years now. I love all the quirks it has and the fact that they are a rare sight where I live is and added bonus for me. I have to say it's not the fastest but it's fun to drive. It's not the cheapest to maintain but it's very reliable. My personal opinion is that as far as maintanance I have spent a bit over 4000 dollar these last 2 years including the standard 95,000 service wich costs 550 dollars. Replacement of the top motor with labor $770 (was replaced 3 years ago) and certain other repairs which can be traced back to foul weather (snow, salt). As I mentioned, I purchased mine used and has never let me down. I'll keep it until it blows up.

The styling, uniqueness, reliability, safety and fun!!

Convertible motor issues (hear it all the time), weak rust proofing (engine bay), repair costs and the pixels in the SI disappear (model issue)

my SAAB brings all the girls home!
By shane

1998 Saab 900 SE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I just bought a 1998 900 SE Turbo 4 dr. in boston and drove it to Virginia! I LOVE the car! It has 167777 miles and it drives better than my dads 1995 lincoln town car! i would love to have 2 just to do so!

the moon roof the, Well all the power features and well yeah i have every option that came with the 98's and i love all of them! I just Love A SAAB

the pick up is slow could be a lot faster and mirrors need to be a little bigger big blind spot!