Used 1996 Saab 900 Consumer Reviews - 53 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 900 model:

Awesome 4 seater
By mr. t

1996 Saab 900 S 2dr Convertible

The 1996 Saab 900 S 2.3 convertible is one of the best cars on the market today in its category, Not only is it fast, great looking, reliable, and well built, it also gets an incredible 30 mph on the Hwy. and seats four comfortably. Awesome.

Favorite feature is the styling and aerodynamics.

Great car
By cj

1996 Saab 900 SE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

It being my first car I am very new to the whole car scene but for an entry level Saab it is nothing less than what I hoped for. The pickup and speed on the vehicle are tremendous. The sound system has been great. I just added subs to it and it made it even better. Overall it is a great vehicle. I was lucky that when I bought it had only 22,000 miles on it and it is a great car.

Speed, sound system, and internal features.

Design and size of engine.

Reliable Vehicle
By TheRickster

1996 Saab 900 S 4dr Hatchback

Bought my 1996 900S unbelievably cheap from original owner with 242,000 miles on the clock. Best investment I ever made! I have seen other reviews here, but believe me this car is made to last as long as you maintain it religiously! It is possible to install aftermarket audio in this car, but the install kit and wiring harness will set you back about $40.00. Total install and prep time is about 45 minutes, however, the factory audio system has features you won't find anywhere else. I like the weatherband tuning which will instantly pull in weather reports for your area. Plus, most people will assume that your car is expensive, especially if well cared for, no need to tell the truth!

Factory Audio. Trunk Space. Larger N/A Engine. Brand.

Power Antenna. Lack of aftermarket support. Proprietary Audio System Design.

210,000 MILES AND STILL GOING!!
By KayCee

1996 Saab 900 S 2dr Hatchback

My Saab is really the energizer bunny. I bought this car used at an auction for $1,000. It had 170K miles then. I now have over 210K miles and this car still runs strong. The only thing I have had to do is change the original clutch at 200k miles. I truly love this car and I have owned plenty of cars. I also have a 2000 BMW 3 series which is fun but my SAAB is my baby. It is my daily driver at about 35 miles to work each day. If you are concerned about a high mileage saab, dont be. Just make sure it wasnt dogged (carfax) and you will be fine. My car will go for another 100K miles easily. If you see a green saab on I95 doing 90mph in northern Virginia, just smile and envy me in it.

SID display, unique design, key in the floor ignition, all the standard features, comfort, reliability, roominess, economy, cargo space, the way it corners, heated seats, the way it cruises effortlessly at 80+mph. Oh stop reading and go buy one

All should be turbo, lol

Sweet... maybe too sweet
By Redoubt

1996 Saab 900 SE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

Our 1996 900 SE Turbo is the kind of car you’d want for your daughter if she was about to move away to college. It’s a completely stable drive in both city traffic and on the interstate and has a respectable safety rating. Very typically European, you and the machine are a single entity. It’s not about comfort or quiet… you won’t be napping in the driver’s seat. You have to actually drive this car but once you do, you’ll never feel the same about a Ford or Chevy. The 4-cylinder engine is topped with a turbo… and probably requires this as a means to produce the power that is definitely available. But the downside is that it is also very thirsty… expect to get a Thank You note from OPEC.

Spirited performance in all driving ranges. Vehicle responds smartly when needed. A very stable driving experience.

Environmental controls need to be redesigned to be more driver friendly.