Used 2006 Saab 9-7X Consumer Reviews - 43 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 9-7X model:

Good SUV, but short-lived
By Saab Guy 2500

2006 Saab 9-7X 5.3i 4dr SUV AWD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my 2006 9-7X 5.3i a little over a year ago with 56,000 miles. It has been a good vehicle, but I recently have had several complications with it. When it turned about 65,000 miles, I noticed that there was a lot of wind noise on the highway. It sounded like the windows were not shut. I had the doors bent and seals replaced, and that fixed that. Then while gassing it up one day, I started it to find that the gas gauge read that it was empty and I had just filled it full. This was quite a spendy procedure to fix, as the gas tank had to be dropped from underneath. Also, the ride tends to be rough and bouncy. My biggest complaint is the poor MPG (I average 13 in town, 17 on highway).

Bose sound system, AWD, interior design, large storage space, multi-level heated seats, acceleration with the V8.

Fuel Economy, a smoother ride, higher quality seals (They seemed to have used a lot of cheaper quality GM materials).

Great Family Car with Sporty Feel
By Great Family Car wit

2006 Saab 9-7X 5.3i 4dr SUV AWD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This car is fully loaded. Nav, DVD, V8. Handles great, is very reliable. Our daughter feels like the car is part of the family. Great in snow and is faster than my BMW.

Acceleration

Transmission performance not in line with engine capabilities

Frustrated and Fearful
By Frustrated

2006 Saab 9-7X 4.2i 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my SAAB 9.7x just over 2 yrs. Mileage at purchased 23,000. Before my 9.7x, I owned 1998 Lexus ES and 2002 Audi A6. I travel three months out of the year averaging about 300 additional (highway) miles per week. Repairs to date: over $4,000 from wheel suspension and other minor problems. Last week, the fan for heat stopped blowing @ $340 (I live in Iowa); to the most recent problem--the fuel connector quoted at $700+ (fuel shows on "empty"). And now, I have concerns with performance. All this at 68,000 miles! I change the oil every 3,000 miles, align wheels regularly and do the regular checks on all fluids. Sound system gets hot when on for too long. I'm fearful of what's next

Satellite Radio & sound system, comfortable ride, adjustable (lumbar) and heated seats, steering fingertip control; roomy and great for traveling long distances with passengers

Only one dealer in Iowa; need more repair shops. Extend SAAB warranty when purchasing.

Great buy
By Dave

2006 Saab 9-7X 5.3i 4dr SUV AWD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I love my 06 9-7x 5.3 I have owned many SUVs and this is the best one. 300 hp and I can get 24 mpg on a trip. The interior feels strong and solid unlike my old Nissan.

Power with good fuel economy and comfort and many luxury features.

Off road capabilities.

Terribly disappointed
By Terribly disappointe

2006 Saab 9-7X 4.2i 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have been a Saab fan for years and have really never heard anything bad said about them. I bought mine used in June, 2009. It only had 38,000 miles on it. I had it in the service repair shop 4 times in the first month of ownership. Twice for suspension problems and twice for door seals. The suspension seems to be ok now but the seals obviously are not. It still sounds like the windows are down when riding above 45mph. The MPG is HORRIBLE! It gets 12, sometimes 13 MPG around town (not heavy traffic either). It has only gotten 16 on the highway. I will not fault Saab. I fault GM for trying to tweak a normal American SUV into a Saab. Maybe I just got a bad one.

The amenities are nice.