Used 2000 Saab 9-5 Consumer Reviews - 83 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 9-5 model:

Don't Buy This Car
By ivanrothschild

2000 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Sedan

Got a great deal on it used. It was fun at first, the turbo was a blast. Ventilated seats, neat dash controls, but it started falling apart. Car alarm would go off randomly in the night when temperatures dropped. It burned oil. Was expensive to fix and never was able to fix it. Oil bled into the brake lines. Blue smoke everytime I started it. Finally had to pawn it off to a dealer as a trade-in. LEMON. I loved the features of the car and still miss certain things about it, but it was unreliable and just downright embarrassing with the clouds of blue smoke I left in parking lots.

Ventilated seats, dash controls, quick pickup

Burned oil, expensive to fix, unreliable

First time Saab owner
By Sarah

2000 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Sedan

This is my first Saab, I am it's 3rd owner and I bought it with 126k on it. Has a brand new turbo, drivers side heated seat does NOT work, I love it don't get me wrong so far so good, fingers crossed I don't rack up some hefty repair bills!

The interior space is GREAT! Very comfortable ride.

Damn Swedish cars and their lack of cup holders

Nice car, but junk
By Frank

2000 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Sedan

Loved the look and driving feel of car. So glad I had a warranty since it was in the shop every month. At least the dealership gave me a nice loaner car. Couldn't wait to buy a Toyota. Repairs done: new turbo, struts, starter. Repairs needed: ABS module ($3000), Transmission ($2500) and another turbo ($3000). DO NOT BUY THIS BRAND.

Drives nice when it runs.

Just junk the brand and start over with Honda engines.

I love my Saab, but you must maintain
By COASUTX

2000 Saab 9-5 Aero Turbo 4dr Sedan

This is the 3rd Saab I have owned. Not only do I feel extremely safe in the vehicle, I also love driving it. However, if you are looking for a low maintenance vehicle, this is not a good buy for you. Saabs are great cars for people who do not mind spending a little TLC (and money) on their car. Provided you fix things when they start to break (and the car will let you know when something funny starts happening), most repairs are manageable. I love my Saab, and would recommend it for any parents who are looking to purchase it for a safe car for a more experienced driver (18+)! Love your Saab and it will love you back!

Winter mode and Sport mode! So great!

Making parts more available when they need to be replaced (I have waited for 2 weeks while I waited on a part. :(

Mixed Feelings
By AMB

2000 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used about 2 years ago with 88,000 miles on it. (My dad purchased a 2000 9-5 aero a few months earlier and I loved his so much I wanted one). It's a fun car to drive, love the sports drive option, and has good overall handling (except in the snow!) Mechanically...I always feel like I'm replacing something! The turbo has gone once already, air filters, struts, brakes, and the oil needs to be changed constantly or the check engine light comes on. The pixels in the dash computer keep going as well and it always reads 'tail light out' even though it's not. My dad has had similar issues with the dash computer and it is expensive to fix. This is a car I hate to love!

A quick car with great pick up. A smooth ride and great handling. The rear heated seat is a good option.

The black plastic paneling on the doors and bumpers fade and become spotty. AND MORE CUP HOLDERS! The one flimsy one just doesn't cut it if you have other passengers in the car!