Used 1999 Saab 9-5 Consumer Reviews - 82 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 9-5 model:

Sobbing over my SAAB
By roland11

1999 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Sedan

Thought I did enough research before purchasing, I was wrong. The car is wonderful when everything is working properly. Which was about 2 weeks! Have done more repairs than I can list here. Parts are often hard to come by and expensive! Unfortunately, Saab quit employing Aircraft engineers decades ago. I'm an aircraft mechanic and I have no doubt their early models held up best because of their aviation background. I'm convinced their partnership with GM was their ultimate downfall. If you already bought a 9-5, Four words: CHANGE THE OIL OFTEN! Change the ATF or manual GB oil often as well! Do maintenance yourself if possible. Mechanics hear "SAAB" and they see $$$$

Fun, Quick, Safe, Comfy Piece of Crap
By Purveyor of Vehicles

1999 Saab 9-5 SE 2.3t Turbo 4dr Sedan

So it's very safe, very comfortable, very fun to drive, pretty quick and all around enjoyable car to drive. However, it was designed poorly and is unreliable and puts a permanent pipeline from your wallet to the mechanic.

Turbo, comfortable seats & roomy cabin, handling, fuel mileage, stereo.

Re-engineer the parts to last and build it so it is easier and cheaper to fix.

SAAB Story
By Kevin

1999 Saab 9-5 SE 2.3t Turbo 4dr Sedan

This car when running is great. But it breaks at the drop of a hat and it is a thousand here and a thousand there. Luckily I can wrench on it myself and save some money. Expect to replace and engine and expect GM to flip you off unless you live in Europe. They honor the warranty there.

Drives well. When it runs

Don't run the exhaust next to the oil pan. It sludges the oil.

Lucked out.
By Austin

1999 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Sedan

I bought mine in 2008 with 100k and now have 190k. Biggest expense was fuel pump at about 150k. I still have the clutch I bought it with and have had no prob with turbo yet. Change oil every 3 to 5k at the cheap places but sometimes my independent SAAB Tech or the SAAB dealer. I have a back up Ig. cass. but still haven't had to use it. Even the pixels on the SID aren't too bad either. I did have some belts break and that broke open an oil line ($1,000 fix). Not as reliable or as trouble free as our 2000 Camry but much more fun though.

Manual transmission, ergonomics, quality of interior, dimming lights, foolproof handling.

I'd like to able to turn the headlights off. I have an extra set of headlight bulbs at all times because they do wear out fast.

Fantastic 'in-betweener'
By Kiwidude

1999 Saab 9-5 SE 2.3t Turbo 4dr Sedan

We've had our 95 for 5 years now and love it to bits, the whole family loves it. It is a great alternative to a Toyota Camry (or similar) as it is much nicer, has more style and 'feels' much better than the standard Japanese plastic box. It isn't at the same level as a BMW 5 or Audi A6 but neither is the price so what you get is a lovely solid car that does everything reasonably well at a great price. People moan about how it doesn't have the performance of a BMW 5 etc but it doesn't have the price either so! If you want a solid well performing comfortable car look no further. Mine has been reliable but like all cars you can find owners who disagree.

Solid feel of the vehicle, mine is 10 yrs old, has 66,000 miles (110,000 km) and still feels like new. Everyone & I mean everyone who hops in it comments on how nice it feels.

I went with the 2.3 ltr which is ample for me - stay away from the American GM V6, lots of problems. Having said that parts are good to come by due to the GM connection.