Used 2007 Saab 9-3 Consumer Reviews - 90 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2007 Saab 9-3

View reviews for a specific 9-3 model:

My first Saab—I'm in love!
By 73spider

2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

To make the story short, I'm in love with this car. Everything about it is so pleasing. It's distinctively beautiful inside and out, with a very attractive interior and style that I find far superior to the German cars. The handling is exceptional for so heavy a car, and the ride is very pleasant—evidence of a supple suspension setup. The more I drive it, the more I respect the work of Saab engineers and designers. Even the colors of my car, silver with parchment leather, are stunning: people comment so favorably. I feel so happy to drive this Saab!

The power top is great fun to watch in operation, and it seals perfectly when raised without air leaks or water leaks. The car is amazingly quiet at speed, easily the top convertible I've ever had in that respect. Night Panel is a unique feature which allows you to switch off unnecessary instrument lights at night. The seats are marvelous, with wonderful leather upholstery and good adjustability. The car's interior is most attractive, simple and easy on the eyes. The 2 liter twincam turbomotor is a wonderful thing, smooth, quiet, powerful and flexible. And the car has great safety ratings, no small thing today.

The HVAC controls are a little cumbersome to use. The high tail end of the car makes backing difficult, but the style is worth it. This car is really about as good as a fine car needs to be, with a unique character. At this time Saab is in bankruptcy. Knowing this car as I do for even such a short time, I don't understand why the firm fell on hard times. I'm going to miss the choice Saab brought to the car market and wish I could have a Kombi wagon to go along with my convertible.

Great car - Great value
By jriroberts

2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I love this car - my third Saab. Bot it used in Jan 09. Drive 3 times a year from Maine to western PA (about 850 mi).
Always have used regular gasoline and my highway mileage is
consistently 36.5 mpg. I drive about
9 over speed limit and occasionally high 80's.
The car goes great, climbs the PA mountains with ease at any speed, accelerates on demand, and is wicked fun to drive. In town mileage averages 25. Not sure why my mileage is so much better than what others report except that I am driving a 6 spd manual and I'm apparently driving it very well:)
I am so sad that Saab is no longer. It delivers great bang for your buck! My 99 9-5 with 190k is used daily for commuting by my daughter

Pleasantly Surprised
By drewtoo88

2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T SportCombi 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Purchased a 2007 9-3 SportCombi 60th anniversary addition in Dec ’09 w/34K mi – now have 67k.
Issues: two head lamps replaced for $25. Things to be aware of: Oil changes - 2.0t takes (6) quarts of synthetic oil only, so $100 every 6.5K miles will add up and it only takes premium gas. Gas mileage - City 21, Highway 27 = average around 23.
Full tune up at 60K = $700 (dealer $1k).

It handles extremely well, very hard to break lose. Its quick when in manual mode (passing anyone is easy), the interior is well done, seats are great, the cargo capacity is astonishing and it’s a cover vehicle – people have no idea how fast it is.

Off the line it’s not so quick, manual mode takes quite a bit of learning to maximize the turbo kick, the breaks could be better.

Turned down 2008 model for this 2007 one.
By smokythediesel

2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought my 2007 in 2009 with 22K on the odometer. I now have exactly 55555miles on it. It has an automatic transmission with manual mode. A few days after purchase at a local GM dealer the wind deflector (plastic cover under the front of the car) disintegrated taking out right fender cover with it on the highway. Same day I had bought all covers and hardware at different local Cadillac dealer. Installed it myself and noticed that the old cover (pieces of it) was new (paper still attached to it) and had only half the required screws installed. I already knew the dealers are criminals, so I do my own maintenance on all of my cars. This was the only problem I had with my saab 9-3. I love it!

2007 looks won me over, not to mention 15K price for a car that still looked and smelled like new. The ride is smooth and quiet. The manual mode can really turn this car into a speeding deamon. Seats are very comfortable and most importantly soft, unlike some other premium cars I had tried. Seats warm up quickly. Maintaining it is also fairly simple. Engine oil is only Rotella T6 5W40 and changes at 5K mile intervals exact (no moisture or deposits on the oil cap). Gas mileage is very good at 28MPG combined, which gets even better at higher highway speeds. The handling is truly impressive, but only after upgrading to 17" wheels and high speed tires.

This is note to self: Factory brake rotors and pads are defective filthy junk. Soon after purchase installed ATE premium One rotors and Akebono Ceramic pads: WOW. stops on a Dime, everytime and no dust or noise!! Factory tires could not wait to get rig of at 28K miles. Upgraded to high speed Toyo Extensa (great even in the snow, I could not believe it). Many plastic pieces of trim on the outside and inside are GM cheapies, so watch it be gentle with them. Currently have entire set of door panels and seats in the basement (ebay purchased from a like mine sedan with only 12K on the odometer) because this one is a keeper. There currently no recalls on 2007 9-3 I hope this review not spoil that!

Love the 60th Anniversary
By howie93x

2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've owned my 9-3 for 14 months and have put 45k miles on it so far.
It has a total of 85k.
I had a few minor issues covered under warranty when I first picked up and since then it has been flawless.
This Saab drives very cleanly and is very fun to drive.
My BMW friends are always impressed with the comfort and also with the performance.
The Saab is built for safety, function, and fun to drive.
I thoroughly enjoy driving this car, especially on my once weekly trip over a very winding mountain road.

This is my 3rd Saab and 7th overall car.
So far it has been the most reliable car I have owned.

My favorite features are the sport bucket seats, driver focused interior, and sporty feel of the drive while getting good MPG. I average around 27-28mpg on fairly aggressive driving. The high mpg is usually about 32mpg for highway driving averaging about 75mph. Car has great passing acceleration with only a little turbo lag. Saab is great at producing a turbo that is wonderful going from 70 to 90 in no time at all, making passing a joy.

Cup holders in door would be great and better ability to integration of iPod or variety of smartphones.