Used 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible Consumer Reviews - 39 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

SE 2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual - (39 reviews )

My 1st Saab, my 1st convertible!
By Rise

2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible SE 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I got the convertible "bug",and happened to find the Saab accidently on Autotrader. It looked nice in pictures, so I set out to find a "real one" to test drive. I was sick of driving a gas guzzling SUV! I couldn't afford anything new, but that didn't stop me from looking for one I COULD afford. What luck! I found a 2003 about 75 miles from my home, and the rest is history. It is a decent size, responsive, gorgeous vehicle. I'm getting 25 mpg versus about 17 with my old SUV. It's a slick ride to say the least. I just wish I'd bought one sooner. I feel 20 years younger!! The best thing is that it's unique. Not many of these on the road, so you'll get noticed.The 4 cylinder turbo is unreal.

The top goes down & up easy & is nicely stored under a hidden top. The rear window is real glass, not a thin plastic sheet.

Ashtrays shouldn't be optional. I had to purchase one and a lighter for the car. Also, an additional plug should be available to plug a cell phone in to recharge.

2003 saab 9-3 turbo convertible
By william palmer

2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible SE 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is one of the finest autos I've owned. I've owned mercedes as well as other expensive autos. The fit, and finish is excellent. The performance is superb especially when you realize it's coming from a 2 liter engine.

The convertible top takes only 20 seconds to put down or up. The heated seats work terrifcally. I also like the 35 mpg on the highway.

Larger rear window to improve visability. A center console would be helpful.

Great convertible!
By scot

2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible SE 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Wow! I received a fantastic deal after this gem sat at my local dealership for six months with no takers. Car turns heads and continues to receive compliments. Driving topless is the best stress-buster in the world. If I'd heeded the reviews in Consumer Reports, I would never have purchased this vehicle, so I'm glad I lived on the edge. I love the unique design and the fact that so few others own this vehicle. Still love it after owning for a year.

4-seater, sleek look when top is down or up, turbocharged engine, uncommon trunk space in a convertible, great customer service, smooth ride, solidity of frame.

No automatic door unlock??? Fuel economy could definitely be better. Even though I love the positioning, the location of window controls and ignition switch causes issues when my schnauzers ride as passengers. They have taken control of the windows and vehicle power on numerous occasions...

A fun to drive convertible
By sandstones

2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible SE 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Trying to decide whether to buy out my lease, and thought I'd see what others had to say. Overall for me car has been a blast to drive, and have only had a few minor maintenance issues. Think it will age better than new GM based Saabs, but only time will tell.

The turbo - especially in the 5 speed, this car has acception accereration at medium to high speeds. Holds the road very well, and once I replaced the OEM tires, nothing but the wind when the top is down. Sports seats are great, and unlike all the 2 seaters I can get enough leg room.

Interior design has some major flaws - no door unlock button, poor cupholders, and I had to get an aftermarket center console armrest (which should have been standard). Front end is too soft (front bottoms out) and oversteer is still there, although less than previous years.

The Ultimate Tanning Machine
By mbm135

2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible SE 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Wonderful car, turns heads, powerful, and best of all hardly anyone owns one. I rarely see another Saab Vert. I bought mine used with only 16K miles on it and it is like new. If you want a head turning, fast, unique sports car, this vert is the one for you. Loaded with luxury features and designed for sheer fun.

Turbo. Safety features (driver and pax front/side airbags, dynamic brake assist, etc). Great looks, the car looks twice as expensive as it is.

Stereo could be more powerful. CD changer not standard.