Used 2017 Ram Promaster City Minivan Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Promaster City for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Good value, lots of room.

zach berdan, 09/30/2016
Wagon 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

I was looking for a rig that could haul gear and furniture and double as a recreation vehicle for bike, kayak, camping, etc. with decent gas mpg and fwd. In a word versatility that was fun to drive. I found the Promaster city wagon after the local Ford dealer wasn't even carrying the passenger Ford Transit and the salesman looked at me like I had something growing out of my head. This was the only Promaster City Wagon on the lot so I guess the versatile Eurovan has yet to catch on. I hate the lack of versatility/space in minivans and crossovers b/c of seating and finish. I recently bought this for clearing out an estate and for long trips. It's been a smooth ride so far. There is plenty of head room and room to bed down for the night or long haul. Back seats can be removed to make more room or tumble forward. Ideal for one or two people on a long haul. Lots of cargo space for moving gear and head space and shelf rack above windshield. Cruise control is a must but not standard. The cargo base is a tin can with 2 seats. The city wagon finishes the back with some plastic and fabric/sound dampening. You pretty much pay for anything extra. Decent fit and finish. Be forewarned: here in VT and with insurers it is deemed a truck/commercial vehicle b/c it has a truck base? so costs @$100 more to insure for a year. I am hoping after the break in period to get better mpg. Right now @23 hwy? 4 speaker Stereo is a little tinny but it is nice to take calls and play tunes via bluetooth, a new trick for this old dog, and I like the backup camera. City wagon was in short supply so no break from the msrp. Hard to get the features I wanted, pretty much had to take what is on the lot. Which was an ok set of features, camera, stereo, blutooth, cruise. I was unable to procure the rear defrost and wiper package. Rain driving means using the side mirrors which fold in btw, for parking. So far, so good. Lots of compliments and head turns around town. Good sight lines, though somewhat exposed, like you are driving around in an fish bowl. Roof rack is extra. Seat is comfortable for a big guy like me. Some have said the drive position is weird, but I don't mind it 33" arms, 30" inseam legs. I checked out the videos on line about it first and was happy to see it can haul a modest small size trailer too.

The penalty box

Scott, 05/09/2018
Tradesman Cargo 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

I have been issued this vehicle as a ‘service’ van. It has been the most uncomfortable van I have had during my career. The driver seat is very uncomfortable after about 45 minutes of driving. The cab is cramped with little storage, none behind the seats. Why Chrysler decided that it wasn’t worth the extra $2.00 to equip this with variable speed intermittent wipers is beyond me. In the 33,000 miles that I have driven it so far, it has been in the shop twice for a bad front stabilizer/sway bar. The 2nd visit today and was advised by the dealership that the part is on back order. I suppose they are on back order because of how many they are replacing? Thankfully our fleet vehicles are rotated out after 80,000 miles. I hope and pray that my company doesn’t make the same mistake of selecting this vehicle again.

Own it for 40 days more than 20 in service departm

Yuri, 01/27/2018
Wagon SLT 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

First out of dealership steering wheel shakes and not aligned with the front wheels .Sliding door on the passenger side unlatched while driving 3 times .More then 4 attempts to solve the shaking steering wheel issue by the service department didn't helped .Ram Customer Care case manager unreachable .Left massages for 7 days include true costumer care services and didn't hear back .My first and defiantly last Chrysler/Fiat creation .Great design for small business/family car , very poor mechanical quality.

Not a good investment for new small business

John, 01/31/2018
Wagon SLT 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

Own it for 40 days (820 miles) more then 20 days in service department .5 attempts to solve multiple mechanical issues . Case managers with Chrysler resolution team not responding for more then a week. Before you buying give yourself a favor and research online :"what is the car manufacturer with a lowest reliability rating" and make the decision after . If you buying anyway take two so you can use one while second in service department .

Family Adventure Wagon

Todd, 03/04/2019
Wagon SLT 4dr Minivan (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

We purchased a new Ram Promaster SLT Passenger Wagon in July 2016. We absolutely love this truck. It was built tough to withstand hard commercial use and built to last. That really appealed to us, as everything is built with long term durability in mind, and it is evident. The truck has proven itself in Europe with over 2 million sold, serving Europeans both as a commercial van and family van. The 2.4 Tiger Shark motor is strong and efficient and also built to withstand constant commercial use, so we felt it would do well long term, with normal family use and it has. It has exceeded all expectations and is so useful and functional. Even in passenger form with the rear seat up and ready for use, we have a cargo area of 4 foot by 4 foot behind that rear passenger seat. It swallows up everything with ease,and you can stack stuff right to the ceiling. It also has proven to be the best vehicle to haul our two large Labrador Retrievers, they have lots of space and it’s so easy for them to get in and out. We found that in Europe Fiat sells a K9 separation barrier, between the cargo area and rear seat, our US version actually has all the slots for it, so we ordered one from a Fiat dealer in the UK, it worked and installed perfectly. It is rated to carry as much weight as most half ton pick-ups, in a much more affordable, practical, efficient design. Ride quality has been excellent and my wife and feel the front seats are the best we’ve ever owned with amazing back support and comfort even in long 12 hour rides. Fuel economy has also been excellent with solid low to mid 20’s in the city and 26-32 on the highway at 80 mph. We live in a mountainous western state and typically average just shy of 30 mpg with the cruise set at 80 and climbing mountains and hills, the nine speed helps achieve that amazing number as does the very slippery aerodynamic design. In 3 years we have had no warranty work and nothing break or need repair. If you use high quality synthetic oil like Amsoil, you can easily get by with one oil change per year. I did find that I get about 3% better fuel economy with 91 octane or better. Cost of ownership has been super low with us basically changing the oil twice so far at a cost of around $80 per change for Amsoil’s best synthetic and their 25K oil filter. It’s almost due for its 3rd oil change, and after that’s complete, we will have spent $240 total maintenance dollars for 36 months of driving. The maintenance schedule is amazing with very little to do outside of oil changes, and basic filters for at least your first 3 years. Overall this vehicle has been amazingly strong and reliable with comfort and amazing utility at a much lower price than a pick-up or Suburban type vehicle. It also has proven to be fuel efficient and easy to maintain with little cost. They built it to stand up to hard commercial use and as a result, we are confident we can drive this for many more years with little concern and low wear and tear. I honestly recommend these to everyone and anyone as we have never had a better more efficient and reliable vehicle. It’s proven, it’s tough, it’s efficient, its comfortable, it’s a no brainer as a family hauler that can also do some real heavy duty hauling. We have driven 14,500 miles with no issues and are very confident of long term reliability, as I have talked to a few local business’s, who have the cargo version and have driven them over 100k already with very little issues. Nice job FCA!