The 2017 Ram 2500 is a top pick for a heavy-duty truck thanks to its refined interior, class-leading ride comfort, and tremendous towing and hauling capabilities. If a regular light-duty 1500 series truck can't meet your towing or hauling needs, the Ram 2500 is a heavy-duty workhorse than can deliver the additional muscle — and refinement.
Like the 1500, the Ram 2500 is available in several different configurations involving cabin, powertrain and box length choices but offers superior towing and hauling abilities. Ram also offers the Power Wagon, a specialized version of the 2500 meant to tackle mountain trails with ease.
There are few competitors in this segment, but none have one of the Ram's best features: a coil spring rear suspension. Whether you're towing or driving around with the bed empty, the coil spring provides a more compliant ride compared to the leaf-spring setup used by its rivals.
- Diesel engine and automatic transmission yield monumental torque
- Cabin offers excellent cabin fit and finish
- Ride is comfortable and quiet, especially for a large truck
- Power Wagon trim is highly capable off-road
- Diesel engine delivers lower power with manual transmission
- Manual shift control is in clumsy spot on gear column shifter