Used 2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Consumer Reviews - 21 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 1500 model:

Awesome pick up
By Juan Carlos

2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Longhorn 4dr Crew Cab 5.6 ft SB (5.7L 8cyl 8A)

After too many vehicles owned through out all my life, the best I've ever had. Strong as tank, accelerates like a rocket and rides too smooth for a pick up truck. Awesome.

RAM 2014 ECODiesel Pickup Longhorn Version in 4WD
By Steve Breithaupt

2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Longhorn 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.6 ft SB (5.7L 8cyl 8A)

I love this truck but I am going to sell it. It has the new diesel arrangement with the diesel exhaust fluid. I have a '97 RAM 2500 Cummins engine that has 140,000 miles on it and runs like a top. Never let me down. That can not be said of the new truck. First problem was the exhaust filter regeneration. My kids were driving it back and forth to our house from the farm and they got a message saying "exhaust filter regeneration required drive at highway speeds". They did not know that meant drop your plans for the next 30 minutes and take a drive. Finally it went into "Limp Mode", which should be illegal as it limits speed to 35MPH. My wife and I nearly got killed trying to drive it to a dealer 45 miles away for a forced regeneration. We stopped and had it towed. Latest problem is DEF tank gauge quit working at about 47,000 miles which also gives you a CEL. I can still drive it but have to overflow the DEF tank to keep it filled. Problem appears to be widespread and occurs around 45K miles. Whole tank assembly has to be replaced at about $3,000 ($2,100 for part alone). Bigger problem is there are no parts and no ETA for parts. Even if I get a part I won't trust it. New Diesel/DEF is not ready for prime time in my opinion. I would not recommend this truck for city driving especially in heavy traffic. If you are stuck in a massive traffic jam and it suddenly decides to regenerate it's exhaust filter you have a real problem. No one seems to know if a new tank will solve the current problem or just kick the can down the road another 45K miles. I understand from checking around that all of the new diesel pickups do the "Limp" mode thing. There are several things that can cause that and another condition that does a countdown to truck won't start. If you want to buy a new diesel I suggest that you read the owners manual carefully before you buy it and ponder driving to your dealer at 35MPH. I am going to buy a gas burner.

I love this truck!!
By Mark Ahrens

2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 6.3 ft SB (5.7L 8cyl 8A)

This is a great, comfortable, well equipped and fun to drive crew cab pickup with tons of interior room.

2013 Laramie longhorn
By D Morehouse

2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Longhorn 4dr Crew Cab 5.6 ft SB (5.7L 8cyl 8A)

The truck is every thing I wanted in a truck and more. Has lots of room for my passengers and all of our gear. The leather seats are super comfortable with the heating and cooling controls for all passengers.

Great Truck for "Harry Homeowner"
By Chris

2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab SLT 4dr Crew Cab 5.6 ft SB (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I don't tow or haul things, but I wanted a truck. I own a home and end up transporting things weekly and this Ram works great. One thing I was always baffled by were the tie downs on my Silverado - they weren't cut out of the bed liner. This Ram came with 4 tie downs (2 in the nose of the bed and 2 in the tail) which makes for moving almost any household item or piece of equipment a breeze. This truck has all the get up and go I ever needed while all the while is great on gas. Currently, I'm right at 20 mpg which is awesome compared to my 2009 Silverado which was hovering around 15/16 mpg. The 3.6L V6 is everything most truck owners need and then some, but still they feel the need to spend the extra money on the 5.7L V8. Don't get me wrong, they sound great and really get going - they can also haul and tow well - but for someone with a family, who wants a 4WD truck to help with odd jobs and for transporting bigger items, this truck is a great option. Crew Cab a must IMO. The Ram has a MASSIVE cabin which is great for when all my friends are riding with me or when my wife and the dogs all pile in.