Used 2014 Ram 1500 Consumer Reviews - 49 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Ram 1500 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 1500 model:

Now have owned all three of the big three
By 4-Dezl

2014 Ram 1500 Tradesman 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.6 ft SB (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I was a RAM/Dodge hater until I owned this truck. I have the 3.0 EcoDiesel and purchased this truck begrudgingly because RAM was the only manufacturer to have the stones to put in a small turbo diesel. This truck with 8 speed ZF transmission gets 30 MPG on the highway if you are careful. Towing my 7500 lb camper, I get 12-14 mpg on the flats and 11 in rolling hills. That is the same as my Duramax with 1/2 the displacement. The Tradesman is the lowest trim model, but with some creature comforts like Uconnect touch screen stereo and carpeting, this truck is as feature rich and comfortable as any. Even more so when you consider the 4 corner coil springs to smooth out the suspension. I did have to add airbags to the rear coils to help with porpoising when towing the camper, but for $80 it was worth it. Turbo lag will always be an issue, but this truck loves to pull and will make 340 ft/lbs of torque when required and over 20 lbs boost. I would buy this again.

So Far, I love this thing!
By Tom Castle

2014 Ram 1500 Laramie 4dr Crew Cab 5.6 ft SB (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

First, this is really a Pentastar V6 2WD Crew Cab, Short Bed, Big Horn, (not Laramie, as the Edmunds options didn't have a crew cab, V6 Big Horn option). My truck is silver with dealer added leather, "Kat Skin" seat covers, which are great and look great as well. I get a lot of compliments and everyone thinks their factory leather. After 69,900 miles, I still love this truck. It is big, comfortable, quiet and it handles and rides great with zero rattles. It rides better than any Ford, GMC or Ridgeline I've owned. I had no intention of buying this thing, but I drove it and liked it. Honestly, I was scared to death of a Dodge/Ram/Fiat truck, and I sort of still am, but it has really been great. It may croak tomorrow, but it really runs great and has given me zero issues. At first there seemed to be slack in the rear axle or 8 speed tranny, but after a couple of software updates it went away. Sounds crazy, but it's true! Additionally, it has excellent power for a V6, (305 HP) and my overall MPG as of today is 21.6 MPG. In winter the average moves up to 22.5 MPG, I think it breaths better with colder air. For a V6, this thing has a sweet rumble as well. On a road trip this past week of 400 plus miles and setting the cruise on 71 MPH, the overall MPG went to 23.6. I usually drive faster, but I was ahead of schedule for each bus meeting and drove slower. Around town on both expressways and streets the MPG will drop to about 19.5 MPG, but moves back up on the road. Even at 80 MPH it will average 20.5 to 21MPG. If I'm not mistaken, it can tow 7,100 pounds and it tows very well. Really, how much power do most of us really need anyway? Sure, some need more or want more, but this Pentastar V6 is amazing. Today, I'd say I'm likely to trade for a 2019 just like this by spring. The 2019s look great and the reviews seem good as well.

Great Truck
By Chris Burch

2014 Ram 1500 Longhorn 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.6 ft SB (5.7L 8cyl 8A)

Resale is not the best from what I have seen and been told by dealers, I am stating this from the actual worth of the truck. Lots of these out there that are used.

Ram 1500 w/ 8-speed transmission - AVOID IT
By MarkInNC

2014 Ram 1500 Sport 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.6 ft SB (5.7L 8cyl 8A)

I purchased my 2014 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4, new, in July 2014. I loved the truck for four years until this week. Before I tell you why I don't think you should buy it, I'll tell you why I did buy it. The styling was awesome, the power of the 5.7L Hemi was great, the fit & finish were good. For 160K miles, the only problems I had were a wheel bearing (normal for it to wear out after about 120K miles) and a water pump, which broke after about 140K miles. Everything else was normal maintenance. All work was performed at the dealership. As I approached 100K miles, I asked about servicing the transmission. I wanted to replace the transmission fluid and clean the filters. I was told, "the 8-speed transmission is a sealed unit. You cannot service the transmission." I was shocked, but reassured that it would be ok. Well, it turned out to be a big, $5600 problem for me. At 161K miles, I was told that I needed a brand new transmission. The torque converter was malfunctioning, but you can't replace it separately. You have to replace the entire transmission. As you can see, I drive a lot. For work, I'm just driving from one end of the state to the other, cruise control on. I've towed my boat a grand total of about 50miles of the 161K. No other towing or anything that would put undue strain on the transmission. My last truck was a 2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4. Lasted for 300K miles and I sold it for $11K (yes, you read that right). If you want long-term reliability, get a Tundra.

Truck taken down by electronics
By Brian

2014 Ram 1500 SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 6.3 ft SB (5.7L 8cyl 8A)

Great truck. Awesome engine, great mileage, great ride, everything is great until the radio goes out. If you have the large radio it controls your trailer brake settings, AC vent selection, radio obviously, hands free, and a few other things. Ram dealer pushed an update to fit some glitches and now the whole think is locked down. "oh some just have problems" is what I've been told. You're kidding me! This whole truck is taken down a few pegs by this little problem. The loaner I have has the same issues and it's a 2019. What gives!?!