Used 2011 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Consumer Reviews - 18 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Ram 1500 Crew Cab

View reviews for a specific 1500 model:

Love it, Hate it
By mmacht

2011 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

The performance, comfort, and looks of the truck are amazing.
The coil springs and small bed limit real hauling if your truck is actually a truck.
Service departments are horrible.
A defective tire turned into a battle.
Since I bought it water has leaked into the cab and I'm being told that's normal.
Over 7 efforts have been made to repair it and I'm now filing a lemon claim on it.
Apparently, the water issue is a problem for Ram with people all over the internet trying to band-aid the issue.
My dealership has told me to stop washing my truck.
I'm not sure how they'll handle a response to the rain.

The engine and looks are amazing. I love the interior design although the stock radio that I have is old looking and the UConnect system is frustrating at best. The acceleration of this thing is off the chain!

The cabin needs to be made water tight on these trucks. I'd also like to see the "eco" mode kick in up until a higher rpm (this is a complaint most of the die-hard Ram truck owners disagree with me on). The sheetmetal has been thinned out significantly, probably in an effort to save weight and it makes the truck fairly susceptible to body damage. My stock headlights were too dim for me, so I bought some new ones and replaced them. Apparently, Chrysler thought that should be a long process that requires removing the front grill.

Engine Failure @ 16000
By jfwill82

2011 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased my ram new in july 2011. Up until recently it has been perfect. It has 16064 miles on it and the check engine light came on but i didnt notice any performance issues. I took it to the dealership to get scheduled in and they hooked it up to the computer and said it was only a missfire. I kept driving my truck and it only got worse. Loud knocking and backfiring and missing and valve noise. I took it back to the shop and they actually did a little bit of diagnostics on it and found the cylinder head had broke where the rocker shaft bolts to it. I have also had a grinding noise when losing traction when braking.

First vehicle I have had in years.
By olddirt

2011 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have just under 8k on the truck and runs great smooth and the econmy gets better daily.
It seems to get better milage above 65 mph than below. I have had no issues with the truck. I have asked for help with some of the options like phone link. but this is this the vehicle I've ever had it in. I have owned a number of other trucks from 1/2 ton to Mack dump trucks and cars from shelbys show qualty jeeps. and I was as happy as I am with this truck.

Hemi, Sport hood, crew cab, Big tires.

My sport didn't come with back up camera but has backing assist. I think I would have prefered the camera.

ECO Mode is terrible but great ride.
By dvp16

2011 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Great ride, smooth, quick.
Nice interior, better than Ford's.
The bad- the ECO mode or MDS that cuts the engine to four cylinders to save fuel is terrible.
Runs rough, sputters despite program flash from dealer. I had a 2011 Jeep with the same engine and the MDS switch was flawless.
So this must be a "Ram" problem. Check out some Ram forums and see the complaints about the ECO and MDS before purchasing. Drivers are placing the transmission in 5th gear to keep the MDS from engaging. I guess we know why Ram sales continue to fall.
Chrysler will not listen to the owners.

Fantasitic smooth ride, great interior, good navigation system.

Raise the front end back up. The 2010 and up models have a 3 inch drop from the previous models. Get rid of MDS. The 3 MPG is saves? Buyers paying that much for a vhecle would be happier without the MDS. At minimum allow the driver to deactivate it with a switch and leave it off all the time. Fix the clutch plate failure issues.

Drive this truck thoroughly before purchasing
By jclaeys

2011 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport 4dr Crew Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Just traded in my 2011 Big Horn after "reluctantly driving it" for a mere 1500 miles.
The new "ECO" technology is the most unrefined of any truck out there....where its' Hemi shuts down 4 cyl. to "supposedly" improve gas mileage. It is course sounding and causes a fair amount of "vibration" in the underpinnings of the truck, which makes the driving experience less than pleasant. GM has this technology down pat...never noticeable.
This truck is beautiful...but the gas mileage is pathetic at best....12mpg, and no, I don't have a lead foot.
If you need a truck stay away from this one..the two most dreaded words you will ever hear.."it's normal"

Interior is huge and refined plenty of nooks and crannys

It is time for Chrysler to work on the gas mileage issue. The paint quality was so poor upon delivery that it needed to be machine buffed to bring out a luster.