Used 2004 Porsche Cayenne Consumer Reviews - 197 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Porsche Cayenne

View reviews for a specific Cayenne model:

04 TURBO owner here!
By liquidsilk

2004 Porsche Cayenne Turbo AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl Turbo 6A)

Great car, super fast, great performance... I wish I was back home in Europe and use it to the limit instead of crusiing 60mph in Cali highways...
I like the exterior design more than the latest ones (2012-2013). So musculan! Inside looks bigger to me, again compare to newer ones.
Gas consumption might be a problem for some. I am not a commuter and I work 7days. Since I dont have time to drive that much I enjoy when I drive.If you can effort get a new one. Gas mileage is much better.

You may need a radar detector. Driving this car in speed limits is like having a beautiful girl but stopping yourself from having sex! You may need a radar detector or a race track to satisfy your needs! I love my Turbo!

NIGHTMARE S
By qpdsful

2004 Porsche Cayenne S AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl 6A)

We just purchased the 04 Cayenne S with under 60k miles, got the extended warranty...after less than a month owning it the rear axle had to be replaced at a cost of $1400.00. 2 weeks later in the hot sun the check coolant light went on, car was in the shop for a week to replace the coolant tubes had to replaced with the aluminum tubes, a Porsche defect that they are currently avoiding, at a cost of $3200.00, exactly 1 week later while I was backing my car into the garage the steering wheel started doing what it wanted and the light came on MOVE STEERING WHEEL there was a loud noise click click click and the car died. Will not start, go into gear, NOTHING. Had to be towed back to the dealer.

The speed of the car and that is it!

How about a little bit of owner ship on Porsche of North America and replacement of most 04 models. Absoulutley disgusting!

My one year of ownership review
By aorobert

LOOKS:
It's a beauty. No it is not a VW.

FEEL:
I have never driven such a tight vehicle. I traded in a Mercedes ML430 for this and never looked back.

GAS:
Lousy gas mileage, more like 12/15. But for some reason when I get it above 80 my mileage improves to about 18. Too bad I can't stay at those speeds for very long.

Wiper speed changes based on amount of rain. Tiptronic transmission. Plenty of room for my 6'4" frame. Radio volume goes to 11. It's LOUD! Love watching friends try to find where the ignition key goes.

Wish the trunk was just a little bit longer. Steering wheel buttons scratch easy. Why hide the 12v power so far under the dash?

Engine Failure
22 of 139,473 people found this review helpful
By biodev

2004 Porsche Cayenne S AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl 6A)

I am / was the original owner of a 2004 Cayenne S.
I carefully maintained the car with oil changes every 7 to 10K miles, transmission fluid at 80K and the car was not driven hard.
Overall the Cayenne was great to drive but extremely expensive to maintain, numerous brake jobs and sets of tires.

The real disappointment was this past week after 9 years and 121K miles the engine failed.
The issue was a cylinder scoring leading to failure of cylinder one.
The Cayenne engine can not be rebuilt and a replacement engine is about $22K installed, used engines are about $8k installed.

Upon searching the web the engine failure is not unique and it seems like it is a major issue with old Cayennes.

Dramatically improve reliability, cost of maintenance and make an engine that lasts.

Poor Reliability
By Dan

2004 Porsche Cayenne S AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl 6A)

Parking Brake broke after a few tries. Replaced transmission drive at 40K miles and gear shift really poorly. Climate Control awful making so much noise. LED dashboard was so bad that needed to replace as warranty item. Sun Glasses box broke and cost $250. Oil change or minor maint. is very expensive. I wouldn't buy it if given second chance. Stylist and good performance but reliability is not in the design process. Beside the design for perf. must take reliability and cost-efficient sustainability seriously. Good name Porsche is tainted.

Stylist and Performance

Parking Brake. Transmission drive. Climate Controls. Quality LED dashboard. Solid Sun Glasses box. Oil change or minor maint. Reliability and Parts Quality!