Used 2006 Porsche Boxster Consumer Reviews - 36 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Porsche Boxster Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Boxster model:

Finance it for 5 years. Keep it for Life!
By G Kemp Lipscomb

2006 Porsche Boxster S 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Buying a pre-owned 987 Porsche Boxster or Cayman can easily turn into an automotive love affair. The build quality is outstanding, fully capable of clocking 200-300,000 miles. And the driving experience will make you want to reach that number sooner versus later! Be careful. Changing oil and filter on schedule is an absolute necessity. And the dreaded intermediate shaft bearing (IMSB) failure is a remote but real issue with older Boxsters (not so much the 2006 MY, which features a larger, more heavy-duty sealed IMS bearing). MY 2009 and newer Boxsters do not have an IMSB, so there is no risk of major engine issues.

Lots of fun, but - careful...
By David Hodges

2006 Porsche Boxster 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

This is a 2006 model S Boxster. it's a great car, but if you buy one, inspect it VERY carefully. Mine wound up needing work on the top lowering mechanism ($ 1200) which could have been avoided had I raised and lowered the top before buying it. It also needed gas pistons (they hold up the trunk lids) for both front and rear lids (not expensive but annoying). Maintenance costs on this care are NOT trivial (oil change with filter about $ 200). There is no navigation unit or bluetooth in the car, so you will need to use your cellphone or buy a new unit ($ 800 to 1500) if you want these things. Trunks are very spacious. Steering and handling are superb. Despite some drawbacks, overall a fun car to drive !

Fun on the run!
By Kent Weimer

2006 Porsche Boxster 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

What a fun car to drive. Shifting the manual transmission is easy and fast with tight, short. precise movements. This car will get up to really fast, really fast. The driving position can be highly controlled with the seat adjustments and tilting and telescoping steering wheel. When done right, it feels like I'm wearing the car. This is not an economy car. It requires premium gasoline and maintenance is expensive. The driving pleasure is well worth it though. Putting the top down and hearing the sound of that distinctive Porsche motor makes the world a better place. Someone asked if I was going through my second childhood. I said I never left my first. My whole life I've owned several convertibles and sports cars. This is the best yet!

Don't buy this car unless you have deep pockets
By David

2006 Porsche Boxster 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car with 30k miles on it in 2013 and it now has 46500 miles. I have put over $12,000 dollars into it in repairs and maintenance alone. I don't get where Edmunds get the price of repair in the Denver area but it is no where near reality. The dealer charges 150 dollars an hour for labor and the sparks plugs a piece are $18 dollars. Even independents are the same if not higher. I have not done it yet but I have to spend $2000 dollars for a tie rod replacement and alignment with in the next month or so. I keep thinking the bleeding has to end but it does not seem to. Also the car smokes on start up and the dealer states that's normal.

First impressions
By Cricket

2006 Porsche Boxster S 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Just drove the car 1700 miles in 3 days, so here's my first impression: This car is a blast to drive. I have a couple pet-peeves already, but I have no regrets about my purchase!

The sound of the engine, acceleration, the fact I had a teenage shake my hand at a gas station on the 3rd day of ownership who was driving a mustang!

Tiptronic on steering wheel is annoying when accidentally pressed, cabin noise, and not a fan of the auto- volume on the radio