Used 2005 Porsche Boxster Convertible Consumer Reviews - 44 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Porsche Boxster Convertible Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Boxster model:

Jekyl and Hyde?
By Stormy

2005 Porsche Boxster Convertible 2dr Roadster (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

Great, fun driving car at the outset when I purchased used @ 24k miles. Spirited and exhilarating performance, superb handling and intelligently laid out interior/instruments. Fortunately I purchased from a dealer and opted for an extended warranty, as I experienced an IMS failure at 38k while traveling cross country. I replaced the engine with a new 06, and have found it to be even stronger, and recently competed another 7,200 mile trip in it. For me, every relationship has it’s ups and downs, and after having experienced an engine fire in my 1970 911, and owned 2 914’s in my youth, I can’t imagine driving any other make!

Porsche's new owner you have to read owners manual
By Dale B

2005 Porsche Boxster Convertible 2dr Roadster (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

My car has been having ignition problems, and it's practically brand new. Porsche engineers should fire themselves--using sub standard parts. All Porsche's are prone to these issues. If you're considering buying a Porsche, don't buy one (and if you're considering going on a road-trip, I would not recommend it). Unhappy customer.

A Sure Cure for the Commuter Doldrums
By RJosephs

2005 Porsche Boxster Convertible 2dr Roadster (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

After one year in the saddle and 3,000 miles of pavement conquered, the verdict is in -- superb job Porsche! I sold my 2001 Porsche 911 after a rather enjoyable but just as disappointing two years of ownership. After missing my Carerra for a few months I set out to find a newer and faster Porsche than my 996. I settled on a low mileage Boxster after an unplanned test drive left me quite impressed and smiling. I enjoy it more than my old 996. It sounds great, has good power, handles fine, and has been a joy to own. It has the sports chrono package and an upgraded six speed manual so it is a little more peppy than cars without those options. The engine sounds like a symphony when driven hard - especially when the exhaust echoes off tunnels and wall. Basically, the whole car just feels like a well engineered piece of fun. The car is fairly comfortable also. However, the car loses some points when the top is up for some annoying transmission noise and loss of exhaust sound and interior noise. I can only imagine what the new models must be like to drive. Well, except for the new version with a 4 cylinder. The Porsche flat 6 is a treasure. For the money, a used Boxster is a great deal.

Awesome/Affordable Sportscar
By tom_dz

2005 Porsche Boxster Convertible 2dr Roadster (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased my 2005 Boxster in 2006 (then 9,000 miles; now 64,000).
I have not looked back since.
It is surprisingly comfortable for such a tight-handling car.
It looks and feels as mean as it sounds.
And to my surprise, maintenance issues have been few (air/oil separator replaced).
I could not ask for a better all-around sportcars.
I highly recommend the model and year.

Cockpit feel; sleek styling; easy convertible use; responsive handling; plenty of power; relatively modest cost; low maintenance; muffler sound; fuel use; and (of all things) the cup holders.

Any suggestion that Porsche do away with the stick.

Over 100k and still a fantastic drive!
By jeremp

2005 Porsche Boxster Convertible 2dr Roadster (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased this beauty in April (2011). I Dr. traded it in at 100k miles. He did all the service religiously, and it works fantastically. The manual spoiler switch was broken when I bought it but a part from SunCoast Porsche fixed it. I do the work myself which keeps maint. costs down. I am a simple guy with a simple income but I feel rick driving the Boxster around town. I never put the top up, (I drive an 05' IS300 on rainy days) and I still get 24-25 MPG. I LOVE this thing!

Dual auto up/down windows. Smooth power roof, smooth acceleration and great handling.

I think the 6-speed should be standard. A standard maint. position for top so I don't have to guess when I need to access engine. A spare tire, even a doughnut would be nice.