Used 1999 Porsche Boxster Convertible Consumer Reviews - 24 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Porsche Boxster Convertible Consumer Reviews

Base 2.5L 6-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (24 reviews )

Allowed a retreat from the real real world
By pwrdad

1999 Porsche Boxster Convertible 2dr Convertible

I am rating this car on what was available in 1999. I am not a gadgets person, I am a driving person. I own four Porsches-930 turbo, 928 S4, 944 and this boxter is the newest, bought them all new. I bought before the "S" came out or the Caymen, not crazy about convertables but wanted to try the mid-engine-phenominal!!! This car is unbelievable on the back hilly/twisty roads and does good on the hiways/interstates. My 928 is trhe best road car ever built-in my opinion and I have over 300k miles of experience. The boxter still draws attention when on the road or in a parking lot. The only issue I have is that I am very long from the waist down and the boxter is a little hard to get in, although the 2014 I sat in had added about 3" of leg room and that solved the issue, not ready to give up this one, I just drove it coast to coast in less than 3 days and it was very comfortable. 2nd/3rd gears are out standing, the others are very good. I run top in Michelin tires and get great mileage-two sets of rears to one set of fronts. The engine breaking is also great.

hard on us old farts!
By autokarr

needs 1-2 inches in room to be able to get left leg out when deplaneing

1999 986 Porsche Boxster
By jccash

1999 Porsche Boxster Convertible 2dr Convertible

We have 167,000 miles on our 1999 Boxster. We enjoy this car and it's fun to own and drive. Drive it to beach resorts including Myrtle Beach from Longwood, Florida. When I have an issue I take it to Porsche of Orlando and Bruce Cameron and team in the service department take care of us. For the money these older 986's are a great deal. Fun to drive, handles well. I did replace the radio and speakers installing a Kenwood and Focal speakers). I may buy a newer Boxster in the future, but right now we are not in a hurry. 2013 and up Boxter or Caymans are amazing and Porsche of Orlando gives me a loaner when I make an appointment for service.

Love at First Sight
By JUST RIGHT FOR ME

1999 Porsche Boxster Convertible 2dr Convertible

My boxster is not the fastest sports car out there, but boy is it fun to drive. It handles better than any car I have every driven and is not bad on gas.

The convertible top and the looks I get from other drivers when I am out in it.

Make it easier to get to the motor and service it.

Uber Shweet
By Raiffe

1999 Porsche Boxster Convertible 2dr Convertible

The car is great! I drive from my home to class mon-fri and not a day goes by when people don't stare! It easily cruses at 100mph and has great highway acceleration in 5th gear. I found that the exhaust wasn't loud enough so I installed one myself and it sounds like a beast. Gas consumption is also amazing for a sports car, I get 26.8 avg. but who really cares! Get it!!!

Turning, letting the back come out, and smoking the tires. Nice! Also the huge amount of engine pressure eliminates the need for braking on the highway and down hills; it also allows the revs to come down much faster for fast shifting.

Better sound system, I installed one of my own. One cup holder. Turbo option would be nice. More spoilers that deploy at high speeds, they are so cool!!!